CO AR15 mags. 10rd or blocked 20s?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Putting aside the argument about whether to comply or not with the 15rd CO mag restriction, because simply put I will comply with it as I don't feel like ever exposing my gun rights, I'm debating whether to just go with some 10rd pmags or blocked off 20s. Blocking off 30s is too clunky and 20rds isn't shabby if the ban ever lifts.

10rd: Pro: Plug and play, zero questions asked, less ammo burned off :p. Con: 5rd less, if the band ever lifts even more rounds less.
20rd: Pro: 15rds available and if the ban ever lifts potential to convert back in the plates are just riveted on. Con: Need to get them modified, few bucks more per mag due to modification, need to make sure only 15rd fit to strictly comply.

Sort in the flip a coin mode and also not sure how likely the ban is to ever lift (though they are trying). My usage is just plinking at the range so 5rd less isn't a tactical issue for any competitions or such.

Although we have no restrictions in Idaho, i use the 10 round pmags. For me it's a lot easier on the pocket book because i tend to be trigger happy while plinking, oh and that one coyote that still got away after 28 rounds sent his way. Size wise the 10 and 20 are pretty close i just really didn't like the way the 30's stuck out when trying to shoot prone. If it were me, I'd just buy the 10's and if the ban ever lifts go buy whatever size you felt you were missing out on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

texag10

WKR
While 30 rds reduced to 15 is kinda lame, they do make for a real handy monopod when shooting from the prone.

As a friend behind the same enemy lines as you, I feel your pain! I have always liked the 20 round mag over the 30 for weight, convenience, and being able to shoot prone without the monopod effect of the longer 30's. I may or may not have lost all of my old magazines and their associated rifles in a tragic canoe accident, but if I were buying new magazines I would go to the 10 rounders. If the ban is lifted, buy some bigger magazines, but the 10 round mags are built for 10 rounds. I don't see any reason to start to try and modify a 20 down into compliance, and then having to prove to some overzealous LEO that your magazine looks illegal but isn't. Hex Mag also makes a 15 round mag which may meet all of your needs without having to do any modification.
others here:
15/20 Midwest PX M3 Magpul PMAG - Black

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The hexmags are blocked 30s, no sense having that wasted bulk.

Leaning towards some 10s for now, can always add more in a different configuration later.

All "old" mags are legal, just have to technically prove you had them in the past. Granted the chances of having to deal with any of this are small its just not worth the hassle on my end.

MAgpul makes a -5 plate to install in your mags, and it even says -5 on the bottom to help LEO know if it really is. I install them in 10 round mags to make them legal for hunting here in Oregon. They say -5 but its almost impossible to get 5 rounds into a blocked 10 round mag. Something you might look at

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah that is how I'd block out the 20s. Supposed to glue or rivet the bottom plate on after to make it permanent. I'd likely go rivet route so they could get drilled out if ever legal and I did blocked 20s.

sveltri

WKR
Just out of curiousity, what is your concern? It is not illegal to own 30 rd mags in Colorado?

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just out of curiousity, what is your concern? It is not illegal to own 30 rd mags in Colorado?

Correct. After July 1, 2013, magazines holding more than 15 rounds may not be sold or transferred, any owned prior are grandfathered in but burden of proof is placed on the owner.

Its highly unenforced but I don't like to gamble with my gun rights.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have 10's, 20's, 30's, and 40's for Pmags and even a 60rd and 120rd other mags.......and about all I use are the 10's, for the most part.

burden of proof is placed on the owner.

I think you may be mistaken here.

"Exceptions – A person may possess a large-capacity magazine if they owned the large-capacity magazine on or prior to July 1, 2013, and maintain continuous possession of the magazine.5 When a person charged with illegal possession of a large-capacity magazine claims to fall under this exception, the burden of proof is on the prosecution to prove otherwise." source: Large Capacity Ammunition Magazines in Colorado | Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

"Grandfather Clause. A person may possess a large-capacity magazine if he or she (1) owns the magazine on July 1, 2013 and (2) maintains continuous possession of the magazine. If a person asserts the grandfather provision as a defense against an alleged violation of the law, the prosecution has the burden of proof to refute the assertion." source: SUMMARY OF COLORADO'S NEW GUN CONTROL LAWS

wildcat33

WKR
I bought 10s for bench shooting and its all i ever use. I just like how the rifle handles without a banana hanging out the bottom as well. Maybe if someone calls me to help unload on some somali pirates or I take a carbine course Ill dust off the 30s.