CO archery antelope

Lou2

FNG
Hey guys, I'm trying to put together a solo archery antelope hunt in Colorado this year in an OTC unit. I've always been fascinated with antelope and my main love is bowhunting. I am building points in Wyoming with my wife to rifle hunt a decent unit but I just can't wait that long. I know this is a long shot but does anyone have any pointers on how to go about picking a unit with some public land that I could spot and stalk with my bow? Or am I better off paying a trespass fee to sit over a water hole or fence crossing? Any insight would be appreciated. I am not after a trophy, just any buck to bring home for meat.

I did archery antelope for the first time in Colorado last year. I initially wanted to do some virtual scouting and put my feet on the ground a few weeks before, while possibly setting up a blind on a public water hole. I got short on time and decided to go with an outfitter. It worked out great, except that I missed my 1 opportunity at 42 yards in extremely low light on my last evening. That was on a water hole. Spot and stalk is a lot more fun, but it’s the most difficult hunting I’ve ever done. If you can shoot 80 yards, S&S is not a bad option. I plan to be that good next time I go.

I’d probably pay the trespass fee and do some stalking to break up the adventure.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
L

Lou2

FNG
thanks! i appreciate the info. I'll look into them. I'm primarily trying to pay a trespass fee and do things on my own. But that sounds like a good backup. I'd love to spend a week spot and stalking.