CO Archery Elk 2013 (word/pic heavy)

bz_711

WKR
THERE IS NO CURE FOR ELKOHOLISM!

Thought I’d share my story of our 2013 Archery Elk hunting trip. My Elk addiction began in 2010 when a new friend, Will, invited me out to his grand Elk Camp in the CO Rockies. Always was a dream of mine – and this would be my best chance. I came so close that year (hunting mate Justin shot a 5x4 at 15 yards as we stood shoulder to shoulder – he had the open shot). Lord willing, and with my wifes support, this has turned into an annual adventure…with me thinking the only cure would be to bag an elk with my bow.

With each season experience was gained. 2011 season was rough with only 3 elk sighted, but 2012 resulted in an opening day missed shot, and a day 2 encounter with a massive bull and 3 cows…at treeline, with snow falling, and him bugling every couple minutes at only 50 yards. No open shots were presented, but my good buddy Matt was with me and it will be hard to ever top the scene we witnessed that morning.

Excitement and high hopes built all year long preparing for 2013 season. I shot my bow 80 consecutive days leading up to our departure – confidence in my shot was sky high. Workouts also reached a fever pitch during summer months – I was ready to do whatever it took to bag my first elk. I completely agree that the Elk is the bonus on an adventure like this, but with 4 young kids at home – Daddy sure wanted to bring a better story home! With my two oldest starting flag football in mid-september and me coaching, we planned to go two weeks earlier this year (typically prefer the final week of CO archery season). Going along this year was my Dad for his second trip, good friend Matt for his 3rd trip, and his Dad Greg on his first trip. I have brought somebody new each year I have returned – and just love sharing such a beautiful place!

Friday night Sept 6th we hit the road at 8:30pm for approx 15 hour drive to camp. I cannot sleep in cars, and I sure as heck cannot sleep when elk camp is the destination, I think I got a 45 minute nap when I handed the wheel over in the early morning hours.
Weather looked to be mild this week – but was beautiful nonetheless.

We got Camp No Name built in a hurry…

The remainder of day one is always spent orientating everyone to the area/roads, getting acclimated to the high country, and grilling out that evening in the Rockies! Rocky Mountain High!

Day 1: We planned to spend the day up high with the warmer temps and the four of us spread out at different elevations to try and find our first sign or elk. The two dads both spotted elk that morning but no shots were taken. Surprisingly I ran into 7 other hunters that morning (more than 3 previous years combined) – nearly all of them cow calling – another reason to leave your call in your pocket at times. Each of them I spoke to were very polite, and all were locals that were would be heading back to work for Monday. One had missed a shot at a cow that morning. I did get close a nice muley buck, and then close to mid day I came upon a nice 6x6 skull from the previous year.

I gladly packed that rack the 1.5 miles back to the car! My story was already getting better for the kids…

We all met for a nice lunch at camp and headed back out for the evening hunt. That evening I did get into some nice sign, but no elk or bugles. Matt and his dad did see a cow that evening.

Sleep comes easy after putting on miles in the rugged high country.

Day 2 found us close to the same area as morning 1. I did get into some good sign a little past where I found the 6x6 skull, so my plan to was to get back there quickly. I was just beginning another climb up to my destination when a bugle rang out at about 100yds. That sure makes for an instant smile in the morning. I quickly and quietly tried to close the gap. As I slowed he bugled again, so close that I was surprised I couldn’t see him. I heard some sticks breaking and tried to move down a trail some for a better look. I finally caught movement at 50yds and he bugled again. Wind was right and ground was wet – it looked like I could make this happen. I moved down trail closer and all of a sudden he’s on trail heading directly at me. I step off behind a pine, and he goes off on that same side of ridge, which should bring him by at about 30yds for a shot. As I readied my bow in my open lane, I peeked around tree to see him at about 45yds just taking his time looking around. Tall dark horns, legal bull, at that point I didn’t focus on points. As he began to walk he just slowly veered left and down the ridge out of range. I had come that way and it was very thick with deadfall. He made a lot of noise walking through that and I knew I could not trail him quietly enough. I made a few cow calls…but that was the last I saw of him. I heard one other bugle further away while I was working this bull. Things were looking up, first bugles, first visual, and nearly a shot opportunity. I pressed on further into the mountain. No more elk were sighted that day for myself, but Greg did spot a cow with calf, and later a bull in a wallow. The evening hunt was called early with rain and lightning. We made use of the down time with a trip to Leadville for hot showers and Quincy’s steakhouse…an annual ritual at this point.

Day 3 started with 60-70% chance of rain, so we were not sure how much good hunting we would get in. I got back into same area as bull on day 2, only to hear no bugling. I pressed on and with the wet ground was able to stalk quietly through some fantastic looking ground. Came across a lot of fresh sign and spent day hiking from 10,500 all the way up to treeline and back down. I was a little surprised I didn’t get on any elk as the sign was great, as well as the wind cooperated with my scent. We met at 1:00 to grab some lunch at camp and plan to try a different spot that afternoon.

Some low clouds rolling into camp:

We all split up for the evening hunt, with my plans to drop down lower and hunt a half circle back up to the road. We were at a much lower elevation not only to see what the sign looked like, but also to avoid the pressure and camps we noticed up high. I was only a couple hundred yards from the suburban when 2 elk stood up below me and I could hear them walking off in the rocks. I cow called once and instantly one of them bugled back. I snuck a bit and cow called again, another bugle and this time a cow call response also – they sounded split up. They made their way back together and took an angle downhill. I was able to trail their fresh tracks for a long way. The bull bugled a few more times, with each time sounding farther and lower on the mountain. I slowed at that point as the sign and rubs looked very good. I knew I had a couple hours left and wanted to go slow, call some while sitting for a bit, and keep doing this every so often. It was approaching 6:00pm and I knew I need to begin to slowly ascend back toward road. After calling for a bit in a great looking area, I put arrow in quiver and slowly began to creep away on the quiet ground. A loud branch snapping behind me and uphill spun my attention around. I caught brown movement through the trees and knew it was an elk. I spun around and knocked arrow all in one motion. I am not sure if the elk saw movement or sensed something but he stopped and stared my way…as I held my bow up and ready to draw.

Two days prior at camp – my good buddy Will went over the basics again to killing an elk for all of us to hear. Part of what he said was that bulls will put their head right into pine saplings and stare through them, do not try to count points, just look for the 5+ inch brown tine. Very timely advice.

This bull had his head inside a pine tree staring my direction. WOW, was I breathing hard! I saw the long brow I needed to see and knew I wanted to shoot. The bull then headed directly downhill going to my left, it was wide open at first and I feared drawing would speed him up. As his head went behind a clump of trees I drew the 70lb PSE Bowmadness and told myself a little over 30 yds. I made the classic whitetail grunt noise I’m so ingrained to do when stopping whitetails…the bull stopped and stared right at me. I couldn’t help but notice him covered in mud as I quickly placed the 30yd pin right where I wanted it. Shot was off, sounded and looked good. He ran over a small rise so I lost visual, but the crashing I heard sure sounded like dead elk to me…and ended in seconds. 6:05. I was very confident we were finding this bull. I dropped my pack and called the wife instantly – thankful for service where I was. I was so damn excited! She later tells me that I sounded like I just killed someone…that excited talk but trying to be quiet still…

I texted the others “I just shot a bull” and told them to grab packs and lights and turn radios on once they were close. I ranged the shot – 37 yards. I walked up to the impact sight and found back half of my arrow just yards from where I hit the bull, it had the red bubbly blood we all want to see. Blood was minimal at first but I could see his tracks much easier and followed them a short distance before I look up and see…

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
I’ll never forget it. I finally did it! Archery 6x6 Bull Elk in Colorado, OTC tag, Public Land, DIY (with some dang good advice from a seasoned vet!)…

The troops arrived shortly right at dark. All of us had the same reaction when walking up on this bull…These animals are HUGE! Very wet year with ample food for all the animals.
So glad my dad was along for the memory!

We coined the phrase Team Old Balls that night…

It started to sprinkle and we decided to try and get this whole thing out that night. Pack was not that far – but it was straight up hill…
We deboned the meat into 5 game bags…along with skulled out rack.
Now that’s a backstrap

Matt and myself have both packed out meat before (Matt got first elk last year)…but the old guys were getting their first rodeo.

Let’s just say they slept well that night…and nobody hunted the following morning. It rained the whole pack out, and making the road was relief for everyone…it’s a night we’ll never forget. I got the meat on ice ASAP, and we all managed some deer chili and a beer or two…then it was lights out. Each of these guys earned one free “Pack Out” credit with yours truly...and it doesn’t hurt when your buddy is a meat cutter either…couldn’t have done it without them.

The following day was rain on and off and a total loss for hunting. We made a return trip to Leadville for showers again. Dad said he needed pizza and a beer – no arguments – so we asked the attendant for a recommendation. High Mountain Pies might be the best pizza and hot wings we have ever ate. No beer, but we picked up some for camp on the way back.

The next day I went with Greg to hunt and we got onto a very hot bull that bugled over a dozen times…we just couldn’t get close enough before he got quiet. Matt spotted a group of elk, but no other shots were presented. At mid-day we decided it was time to break camp and get the elk meat home.
I had thought that getting a bull might help dampen this fire I had to hunt elk…but it has only fueled it into a raging fire. There is no cure! I cannot get enough…other big game is still going to have to wait!
I cannot thank my wife enough for supporting my dream and holding down the fort while I’m away!

Good ‘Ol Camp No Name

We looked like a legit Elk Camp!

Not often I’ll get to bring home two 6x6 racks.
I couldn’t have asked for a better hunt with better company…
…and boy do I have a story for the kids…

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Grats Mat. is that North Central Co? I remember seeing a camp setup like yours about a week and half ago. Wondering if you where in same area I was hunting. great Bull. Hope to get mine done this weekend.

slvrslngr

WKR
Great bull, congrats! That pick up skull looks like it could be the brother or daddy of the one you killed.

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
Grats Mat. is that North Central Co? I remember seeing a camp setup like yours about a week and half ago. Wondering if you where in same area I was hunting. great Bull. Hope to get mine done this weekend.

Camp was about 15 miles North of Leadville

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
Good story and congrats!
Buuuuuuttttt......is that a Chicago Bears blanket in the picture of the cots/sleeping bags?????????? BOOOOO!

Yes - the Bears blanket was for good luck and brought me my bull...don't know if that means they'll go 16-0, but I think it's good mojo for the playoffs.

Go Bears!

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
Great bull, congrats! That pick up skull looks like it could be the brother or daddy of the one you killed.

Very well could be, they were very similar...and only about 3 miles apart.

pbville

FNG
Bz - nice work, I live in Leadville (as you can see by the handle) and drove right by your camp everyday on the way to work in the vail valley. I scope and scout this area year round, as well as do a little archery hunting there as well. To take these two in that OTC public land area, not to mention being a bears fan, is impressive. I pulled 48 this year otherwise I would have likely seen you out there. I can attest you were putting your hours in because camp always looked pretty quite. Great job, maybe we'll see you out there in the future.

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
Thanks for all the kind words guys!

Bz - nice work, I live in Leadville (as you can see by the handle) and drove right by your camp everyday on the way to work in the vail valley. I scope and scout this area year round, as well as do a little archery hunting there as well. To take these two in that OTC public land area, not to mention being a bears fan, is impressive. I pulled 48 this year otherwise I would have likely seen you out there. I can attest you were putting your hours in because camp always looked pretty quite. Great job, maybe we'll see you out there in the future.
I'm sure many units have more elk and much less rugged terrain...but I've built a strong attachment to this area. I hope to hunt elk in other areas/states...but I'm sure we'll pitch camp in the same place also many more times in the future...

Matt, congrats on a great bull/hunt. I've learned some good elk lessons from Will and hope to get to camp again one of these years. Thanx for sharing!!!

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
Matt, congrats on a great bull/hunt. I've learned some good elk lessons from Will and hope to get to camp again one of these years. Thanx for sharing!!!

Tim - Thanks...hope to see you Minn guys around again sometime!
I can't ever repay or thank Will enough for what's he's done opening up this world of elk hunting to me...just hope I can pay it forward half as good as he does...

Kilboars

WKR
Great story Matt. Thanks for sharing.
My first time reading it. I'm planning on doing this hunt every year and getting hyped for 2014.

Afflicted.