CO archery mule deer NR question

Bitter24

FNG
Sorry in advance for the novice post.

Little background, I live and apply for tags in AZ. Last year I started to apply out of state. To include CO, WY, UT and NM. As the title of the this post states I am looking into a archery hunt for CO. I currently have 1 BP in CO for deer. So for 2016 draw I would should have 2. It took me forever to learn AZ draw (about 2-3 years) so out of state draws are still new to me. I have no problem with a back pack style hunt, as I have the gear for it. I have done back hunts here in the mountains of AZ. Which is a different style of mountains though.

With the little points I have what would be units to start looking at. I am currently researching stuff through "gohunt" and I also get both EHJ's. Which I am looking at the MRS sections. Also, going to subscribe to hunterstrailhead. I get that I am a newbie to hunting out of state besides AZ and my home state of WI. So take it easy on me lol.

I would prefer a unit where I can glass country and then spot and stalk. Im used t glassing for coues deer in AZ, so glassing for mulies in the mountains should be similar. The problem I am having is getting a start on what units to look at. It would be nice to find a unit in the western half and southern portion of CO as it would allow for some scouting trips without having to much of a drive time from southern AZ.

Im sure I missed some key things so just call me out on it. I have no problem doing my research just a little overwhelming without a starting point.

-Bitter

If you have 1 point now you will have 1 point going into the draw next year. Go to the CO DNR website and look up the statistics. There is a report that shows the min points to draw each unit. This will give you a starting point as to what units you can have a chance of hunting. Just remember that just because the min points to draw may be 1 that does not mean everyone who applied with 1 point drew.
http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/Statistics.aspx

jm1607

WKR
In general: 53, 54, 55, 61, 66, 67, 70, 74 are some of the better units in SW CO. This isn't a secret, most websites/mags talk about these units in depth. The terrain varies. These units take 0-9 points to win currently for archery depending on the unit, most hardly taking any points at all..

From reading descriptions, 54 & 55 look like true backpack style hunts if that's what you are interested in..

**AZ has one of the most complicated draw systems in the country. It's actually about to get less complicated, but NRs are going to take a hit on tags. As a resident, you have a chance to win some excellent tags!

Last edited:
OP
B

Bitter24

FNG
MuleyFever, thanks that helps with doing research. Also, thanks for letting me know the way CO does there points, you dont get the BP till after that actual draw.

Jm1607, thanks for the info. That gives me several units to start researching on my own. Thanks!

75 you should draw with your points and is close to AZ. You could do a true backpack hunt there. If I only had one point I would hunt it archery. Good luck

OP
B

Bitter24

FNG
Dirtytough, thanks for the info I will look into that unit as well!!