CO bowhunting changes on the way

OP
COLOelkman
Because the cow numbers weren't the reason for the change......regardless what they said. IF the depleted cow numbers were the issue........then they could have easily just cut back on all the rifle cow tags, and gone to OTC antlered elk tags like they did last year for 44, 45, 47, and 444.

Plus, this last year there were no cow tags at all for archery season in 44, 45, 47, and 444.........yet they want to change those units to draw only now for archery "because of the depleted cows"? That makes no sense at all. There's a herring in there somewhere, I just haven't figured out where yet.
Here's my take on it. For CJF "Why would they limit archery, but not 2nd and 3rd rifle?" They do limit cow tags for 2nd and 3rd rifle as the rifle OTC tag is for bulls only so no cap but cow tags have to be applied for with a limited number. For Archery OTC is either sex so they don't have any control or specifics for what's harvested. Last year if you had an OTC either sex tag and hunted in 44, 45, 47, and 444 you could only take a bull, thus no cows for archery. So that was a pretty unique type of situation that didn't fit any tag designation so I think they just went for what was easiest to make it bull or cow specific for 2020. I also think the consequences are that for those that understand the situation in those 4 units, many will hunt elsewhere (like me!) so that will add to the overcrowding. If you hunt those units, they will likely be less crowded, however they already have very low overall elk numbers so definitely not a "quality" hunt which is the perception when drawing a limited tag. So for me personally, I will not be able to hunt an area I've hunted for close to 40 years possibly never again unless I want to be stuck with that tag only and that's now how I normally hunt.

OP
COLOelkman
Any idea when this info will be published for the public?

I have friends that still hunt these units. Going to have a pretty big impact on their trips.
Should be published in the regs and I'd guess it would be at the front under the heading "WHAT'S NEW :2020"

cnelk

WKR
As in the past, tag allotments won’t be set until May.
A month after applications are due.

Season isn’t changing just available OTC units.

Correct. But if they aren't going to be able to get a tag they will make a different trip. Like instead of otc Colorado since now they feel like they got burned they will go somewhere else.

Basically seems like this is a decision CPW should have made in Sept with the 5 year plan. I also think it's crappy that it's June before you find out if you got a limited tag. Not everyone is in a position that you can be taking vacation with 3 months notice.

tdhanses

WKR
This change affects where I hunt and it was needed years ago, numbers are way lower then they say and they increased the number of bear tags and lowered the price about 8 years to late. Yup it does suck but hopefully we see an increase in numbers from it.

These will be easy to draw tags and probably plenty in the leftovers. I bet you can still get it 2nd choice.

I do wonder how many will still buy an OTC tag and not read up on the changes and still hunt them, I bet a number of people do.

tdhanses

WKR
Because the cow numbers weren't the reason for the change......regardless what they said. IF the depleted cow numbers were the issue........then they could have easily just cut back on all the rifle cow tags, and gone to OTC antlered elk tags like they did last year for 44, 45, 47, and 444.

Plus, this last year there were no cow tags at all for archery season in 44, 45, 47, and 444.........yet they want to change those units to draw only now for archery "because of the depleted cows"? That makes no sense at all. There's a herring in there somewhere, I just haven't figured out where yet.

I thought during rifle, in the SW units at least, cow tags during rifle were already very limited.

Correct. But if they aren't going to be able to get a tag they will make a different trip. Like instead of otc Colorado since now they feel like they got burned they will go somewhere else.

Good. They can hunt somewhere else then. Why should CO bend over backwards to make every single hunter in the country happy....even, *gasp*, those with personal job requirements? It is the hunter's responsibility to figure this out not the state offering the hunt. They already offer unlimited free-reign OTC to out-of-state hunters to invade at a lower cost than most other western states and then don't even count harvest numbers.

Don't like it and still don't want to hunt elsewhere? ...find a new job and/or move to Colorado like everyone else. Colorado can't get any dumber, but...I said that 10 years ago.

Last edited:
OP
COLOelkman
I thought during rifle, in the SW units at least, cow tags during rifle were already very limited.
Not sure about the SW units but the White River unit rifle cow tags have been cut back for several years now. We used to draw them 2nd choice now it'd be hard to draw 1 1st choice unless you use a few points for a poor unit so that doesn't make sense.

OP
COLOelkman
Won't that be the end of February or March?

Pretty difficult for an individual who needs to have their vacation in by the first of the year.
fyi, there are no states that I know of that you can even apply for tags by the 1st of the year, let alone announce results. You can still get an OTC tag for other areas that are guaranteed but these areas will no longer be OTC.

cnelk

WKR
Here is a map of Colorado archery draw units with the new units [in Yellow]
The areas in RED are already draw for archery.Elk_DAUs.JPG

Btaylor

WKR
So 65 will not be included in the new rules?

So will the draw be based on the E unit or the sub units in the area? So if you draw say E30 you can hunt in all the units in that zone or is it going to unit specific in the zone?

Last edited:
fyi, there are no states that I know of that you can even apply for tags by the 1st of the year, let alone announce results. You can still get an OTC tag for other areas that are guaranteed but these areas will no longer be OTC.

Correct. Colorado had just taken the path of allowing a lot of otc. These areas are getting smaller and for good reason. It made it so guys could plan a trip where they were guaranteed a tag. Times are changing. I just wish they had made the changes with the 5 year structure in Sept.

There are several states where it's easy to know that you will have a tag and can plan a trip a year in advance.

Good. They can hunt somewhere else then. Why should CO bend over backwards to make every single hunter in the country happy....even, *gasp*, those with personal job requirements? It is the hunter's responsibility to figure this out not the state offering the hunt. They already offer unlimited free-reign OTC to out-of-state hunters to invade at a lower cost than most other western states and then don't even count harvest numbers.

Don't like it and still don't want to hunt elsewhere? ...find a new job and/or move to Colorado like everyone else. Colorado can't get any dumber, but...I said that 10 years ago.

Colorado has long been the state that was open to non-residents. Don't like it? Maybe you should not be residing in a state where one of the main economic drivers is tourism.

Colorado took the path of providing opportunity over quality years ago. I don't see at all where they are bending over backwards. Not asking them to. I think changes needed to be made, not sure if limited archery is the best. Probably a game check would have helped from a management perspective. I'm curious why they didn't make these changes in Sept. when they were doing the 5 year structure?

For anyone upset about non-resident Invaders, I hope you remember how much money that pumps into your game depart every year. Wildlife offices are funded by tag sales. National Forest is funded from the federal government. So with non-resident tags costing more than 10x that of a resident and the public ground being federally owned, what ownership does a resident have in it? Definitely some. But unless it's state owned land this is land that belongs to all of us. And the animals are managed by the states, but look at how much of Colorado's tag money is coming from out of state rather than the residents.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

Cow rifle tags have always been draw for most of the state and those are easy to manipulate year to year. And going to a draw archery tag for bulls only will do nothing to help with the diminishing elk numbers. However, completely limiting all archery and rifle tags and possibly even eliminating the rifle cow tags until numbers come back up..........would help with the situation.........IF that's the reason for this change. Since they didn't do that, it's apparent that raising elk numbers was not their intention.

cnelk

WKR
In 2019 there were 80 cow tags issued for 1st Rifle season for GMus 71,72,73,711

For 2nd & 3rd Rifle season, there were 51 cow tags issued for GMU 71

For 2nd & 3rd Rifle season, there were 42 cow tags issued for GMU 72

For 2nd & 3rd Rifle season, there were 8 cow tags issued for GMU 73

For 2nd & 3rd Rifle season, there were 42 cow tags issued for GMU 711

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
In 2019 there were 80 cow tags issued for 1st Rifle season for GMus 71,72,73,711

For 2nd & 3rd Rifle season, there were 51 cow tags issued for GMU 71

For 2nd & 3rd Rifle season, there were 42 cow tags issued for GMU 72

For 2nd & 3rd Rifle season, there were 8 cow tags issued for GMU 73

For 2nd & 3rd Rifle season, there were 42 cow tags issued for GMU 711

Exactly........223 cow tags is not going to make a big impact over that large of an area. They need to restrict ALL tags to make an impact. And 44, 45, 47, and 444 didn't even have any cow tags or either sex tags for archery last year, and they're still changing those to all draw for bulls while leaving 2nd and 3rd rifle as unlimited OTC.

Sorry, this is just another example of the CWC making changes on the fly without any long term thought. That whole board needs a reset.

It's sad to see. The CDOW/CWC used to be an org that had a lot of respect.