CO Cow Elk

Zackw

Lil-Rokslider
He all, I'm trying to figure out where to apply for 2021 and could use any advice. This will be my second time elk hunting, and my first time hunting in Colorado. I'm in shape and can cover miles if I need to, but I plan on car-camping to stay mobile. I'm coming from OK and would like to stick to the southern half of the state. I will be going after a cow, just trying to fill the freezer and get some experience. Again, any advice or tidbits of info are greatly appreciated.

OP
Zackw

Zackw

Lil-Rokslider
I was planning on rifle hunting, but I’m also open to bow hunting. Whichever will give me the best odds of putting meat in the freezer.

bz_711

WKR
I've never rifle hunted elk but would say that is probably best for cow/meat hunt.

For archery I'd argue that shooting a cow is much harder than tagging a bull...just in my experience in CO for the way I hunt...

cnelk

WKR
There's only $170 difference between a cow tag and an E/S tag.

If it were me, Id pay the $170 and increase my odds.

wildcat33

WKR
Literally 85% of all elk hunters in any rifle or archery season are just trying to put their tag on ANYTHING. Its like last call for 3 months.

My advice; choose the weapon, season, and location that has the most appeal to you and go have some fun. A good campsite, beautiful country, and sharing it with friends/family is what its about. The rest will come in due time.

gburk

WKR
Also following. Fingers crossed here on a couple of youth muzzy cow hunts.

Laramie

WKR
Best piece of advice I can give those following that have never hunted elk before- Don't think of a public land cow elk like a doe deer. In general, they are a very challenging animal to hunt on pressured public land.

For the OP, I also agree with cnelk above- get the either sex tag if you can. I hear stories yearly from cow elk hunters about the bulls they could have shot. Bulls can be just as good, or better, meat than a cow if the meat is cared for.