CO - Cow Moose Hunt

robie

WKR
I was just checking my application and I messed up and applied for a cow moose hunt. DOH!!

Unit 18. Draw odds are very high even with my 2 bonus points. Anyone ever hunted the unit for moose?

Looks like my option are to loose my points or pay $2.2K go hunt a cow moose.

Last edited:

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
You can turn the tag in prior to 30 days before the season for point restoration, but you will pay the tag fee to do so. Or you can hunt a cow, and enjoy. 2 points in this game isnt really anything to regain considering how many it takes.

My dad drew his bull moose tag for 18 in 2015 with 17 points......he shot a really nice one. It definitely looks bigger on a wall in the house than on the side of a mountain haha

I myself am now up to the high teens in points for moose as well as sheep and goat, and dont really hold any hope for drawing year in and year out. Case and point I was 0/2 on sheep and goat again this year and Im a resident. I would say spend your points on a cow and then save your PP$ for a drop set up in Alaska or go to Canada for a cheaper than Alaska experience

OP
robie

robie

WKR
You can turn the tag in prior to 30 days before the season for point restoration, but you will pay the tag fee to do so. Or you can hunt a cow, and enjoy. 2 points in this game isnt really anything to regain considering how many it takes.

My dad drew his bull moose tag for 18 in 2015 with 17 points......he shot a really nice one. It definitely looks bigger on a wall in the house than on the side of a mountain haha

I myself am now up to the high teens in points for moose as well as sheep and goat, and dont really hold any hope for drawing year in and year out. Case and point I was 0/2 on sheep and goat again this year and Im a resident. I would say spend your points on a cow and then save your PP$ for a drop set up in Alaska or go to Canada for a cheaper than Alaska experience

I've been bouncing it around in my head. 2 points isn't much but 2 points is 5 years into the game in CO. Still not worth $2,200 to get my points back.

Not sure $2,200 is worth a cow hunt when I could just put that toward a bull hunt in AK next year. Best case I don't draw and don't have to worry about it.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Looking back over the last 5 years NR's have drawn with 0 points.

I'm guessing it won't be to difficult to find a cow? Is that a fair assumption?

Laramie

WKR
My family loves moose meat. 2k is a lot to spend but man it might be worth it to have several hundred pounds of awesome in the freezer.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
My family loves moose meat. 2k is a lot to spend but man it might be worth it to have several hundred pounds of awesome in the freezer.

That is one of the few things that has me thinking I should go. I hear the meat is top notch. But I've got two freezers that aren't full but not empty.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
If you draw and decide to keep the tag, give me a shout. I’ll get ya pointed in the right direction

I appreciate it. I'll gladly share some meat.

Just need to see how the rest of the states treat me.

Hardest thing about shooting a cow in 18 is finding one without a calf. Then the one you shoot without the calf will have a bull that wants to stomp you when she's laying there dead.

Good luck!

Laramie

WKR
Hardest thing about shooting a cow in 18 is finding one without a calf. Then the one you shoot without the calf will have a bull that wants to stomp you when she's laying there dead.

Good luck!
Or shoot a 1.5 year old calf. They are pretty dang good to eat!

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
I've been bouncing it around in my head. 2 points isn't much but 2 points is 5 years into the game in CO. Still not worth $2,200 to get my points back.

Not sure $2,200 is worth a cow hunt when I could just put that toward a bull hunt in AK next year. Best case I don't draw and don't have to worry about it.

If you have 3+2 points instead of just 2 points (2+0) then you may as well pack your bags, you have the tag guaranteed in 18 this year. It would be truly remarkable if your did not draw.

A nonres buddy With 3+15 had shared his login info and I logged in to CPW to check his apps and he did exactly what you did, but I was able to warn him in time. He dodged a huge bullet on that one.

As a colo resident have arrowed 3 moose, Bull then cows. Will take a cow tag every chance I get which may be this years with 3+0 points in hand again. One thing I can say if you can stomach the $2,200 fee is I see bigger and more bulls on my cow hunts it seems, so it will be fun!

But you could end up swimming in 27 degree temps to retrieve your trophy. Both my cow moose piled up in water after a short/fast run after being arrowed. Can see the arrow in this shot.

B0937D45-D452-440D-8816-CEEA30495FA8.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
robie

robie

WKR
If you have 3+2 points instead of just 2 points (2+0) then you may as well pack your bags, you have the tag guaranteed in 18 this year. It would be truly remarkable if your did not draw.

A nonres buddy With 3+15 had shared his login info and I logged in to CPW to check his apps and he did exactly what you did, but I was able to warn him in time. He dodged a huge bullet on that one.

As a colo resident have arrowed 3 moose, Bull then cows. Will take a cow tag every chance I get which may be this years with 3+0 points in hand again. One thing I can say if you can stomach the $2,200 fee is I see bigger and more bulls on my cow hunts it seems, so it will be fun!

But you could end up swimming in 27 degree temps to retrieve your trophy. Both my cow moose piled up in water after a short/fast run after being arrowed. Can see the arrow in this shot.

View attachment 178671
Great pictures!

Yeah I have 3+2. It would be tough for me not to draw. I doubt calling CO game and fish and begging will do anything for me. Really to bad you can't change your choices up to the draw.

I'm not a die hard archer but I'm looking at the muzzleloader season. Seems like that would be fun.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
I'm not sure how but I didn't draw. Hopefully I don't ever make that mistake again.

Good luck to the rest of you. Hopefully someone pulled a moose tag in CO.