CO Deer Units 7, 8, 9, 19, & 191

SoDak_23

FNG
Brand new to the forum and to Colorado (Fort Collins). I plan on doing a lot of scouting over the summer but am brand new to the area and wondering if anyone has any general ideas of places to check out or advice for these units for Archery. I don't want to steal anyone's spots and wanted to hopefully meet some new hunting friends if anyone else is in the same boat and lives close. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

Man, I think your best bet would be to drive as many roads in those units between now and summer as possible and get a feel for the terrain and where deer hang out. There are deer down low and there are deer up high in that country. Driving around will get you a better idea of the terrain you want to hunt and what deer like around there.

Hustle moves around private/public boundaries would be productive down low in the bitterbrush and cedars. Backpacking into the high country probably is productive, as well. I figure it's just up to how you want to spend your time learning it.

Whatever you end up deciding, just keep in mind FoCo being so close means it's likely you're going to have company wherever you go. If not from hunters, from recreationists. So if it's got a well-used trailhead, I might suggest someplace else.

wytx

WKR
Watch the state line, don't want to accidentally cross over.
If you see wolves chase them into Wyoming, we'll take care of them.

Took an older mule deer buck out of there 4th season a few years back, plenty of hunters running around for rile, hopefully archery will not be as busy for you.

Jaden has good advice.

Welcome to NoCo. Plenty of deer in the area as well as hunters and recreationalists. Best advice I can offer is get the onXhunt app, use Google Earth, obtain Forest Service and State publications, and go drive the roads to get a good feel for habitat and lay of the land. Almost forgot, get a good pair of boots and a backpack.

OP
SoDak_23

SoDak_23

FNG
Thanks for all the quick replies. Have been looking at google earth/onX already and trying to get a feel for some places to check out. Please feel free to reach out if you're in the same boat and from the area as well. Brand new and do not know many people here and with the current lockdown it is a little difficult to meet any new hunting friends. Hoping to get out and do some shed hunting come May 1st (that is my understanding when it opens up in Colorado West of I-25)

Watch the state line, don't want to accidentally cross over.
If you see wolves chase them into Wyoming, we'll take care of them.

Took an older mule deer buck out of there 4th season a few years back, plenty of hunters running around for rile, hopefully archery will not be as busy for you.

Jaden has good advice.
Thank ya sir! I was looking at that 4th season myself. Lots of tags but seems like a solid opportunity.

With a draw archery elk tag for those areas, I'd imagine he's got a chance it will be lower key for archery.

Looking at the same units for 2nd or 3rd season rifle. First time Mule Deer hunting party of 4 from Minnesota. We have been going through google earth, On x and anything else we can get our hands on. Any PM's or info would be greatly appreciated.

Like SoDak23 said, not looking for spots, looking for strategies to lose the crowd.

Thanks.

lucky333lucky

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy and I put in for archery deer in these units. I have a couple possible spots picked out just from looking at maps. I sure wish it wasn't such a long trip from S Texas so I could do more scouting in person. I'm sure that the main thing is to be able to get in miles further than most others want to hike.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

cgasner1

WKR
We hunted it last year for elk saw a lot of buck sneaking thru the timber looking for elk they are in there good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lucky333lucky

Lil-Rokslider
We drew for 7, 8, 9, 19 & 191. Are you hunting the same area?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
My buddy and I got both elk and muley tags for 3rd season rifle. Hunted Bull Mountain in 2017 from the private side as we knew someone who had a place over there. We're going to be coming in from the public side this time. Don't have my notes in front of me, just moved on Sunday from NJ to SC and the moving truck isn't here yet. Spoke to the local biologist awhile back and he said Bull Mountain road goes up quite a ways into the mountain and we can camp up there. I suppose that will be determined by the amount of snow. We hope to get there 3 or 4 days early to set up, help lungs get acclimated and scout. We only got to see the south eastern area last time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Homeradam

FNG
How'd you do for archery? I was raised hunting unit 19, 191 (35 years now) and hunt it every fall even as a non-resident. I'll be down there again for the 4th season looking to throw some meat in the freezer.

cnelk

WKR
How'd you do for archery? I was raised hunting unit 19, 191 (35 years now) and hunt it every fall even as a non-resident. I'll be down there again for the 4th season looking to throw some meat in the freezer.

Your hunting will be restricted to SWAs as all National Forests are closed due to fire activity. It could change by 4th Season, but thats how it is right now