CO Detector / Propane Detector using Buddy Heater

RSC12

FNG
Hey Guys,

I'm looking into getting a Kodiak Canvas 10x14 Deluxe Tent. I'm planning on using a big buddy heater to warm the tent in the mornings and evenings. *Not going to use overnight while sleeping*

I'm definitely planning on bringing at least one portable CO detector that I already own but am wondering if anyone can recommend a better portable one to bring. I've noticed that mine says it only works in a temp rating from 40F-100F. I'm thinking this should be fine as the CO should only be generated once the tent is warm anyways, but would like something that works in the negatives too just to be safe. Also I'd like to double it up.

Also does anyone bring a portable gas detector. I'm planning on using a 20lb tank (on the outside of tent) and then just using the on/off valve on the buddy heater. I know its a long shot but if that valve or connection had a slow leak it could be a problem the next morning when firing up the heater. I know propane has a smell, but it is also heavy and will lay low on the tent floor (possibly lower than cot hight) and if it was a slow leak over night your sense of smell might be desensitized. I really don't want to have to get up to turn on/off the tank every morning/night.

Just trying to think this through and be overly cautious. I have some close connections to CO poisoning so take it very seriously.

Thanks for the help.

I have seen tests on these heaters that had them in a completely closed sealed room and zero emisions of co2.
I usually put my tank outside thetent and run a hose inside to the heater so no gas issues. you will smell the gas if there is an issue. I have used these heaters in several tents for years with zero issues including overnite many times. No reason not to be cautious but I think that will be a sweet set up.
Make sure you test your set up before leaving, we had a guy one year pull his new unit out and it wouldn't work at all so he had to run to town an hour away.

rayporter

WKR
^^
what he said!
plus i have a small cabin that i run it in all night. the first 2 nights i put a CO detector by the heater and have not worried since.

I’m a natural gas serviceman and go on co calls every day. Tests on YouTube are misleading because those portable co detectors only go off at 70+ ppm. Our standard at work (along with the fire dept) is we don’t want to see co over 10 ppm in the ambient air (breathing air). We have the best gas/co detectors made in the world that I use daily for work and they measure from 0-4000 ppm co. I myself was curious and did a test and bought the big buddy heater to try inside my enclosed trailer. I fired it up and let it run for a half hour and the co reads were between 20-30 ppm at all times in the ambient air. They definitely do not burn clean. 20-30 ppm exposure over hours of time is enough to cause health harm. I personally won’t use them at all in an enclosed space. If you do I’d highly suggest having plenty of fresh air openings to vent.

The video I watched was on YouTube but the guy used 4 different detectors including one i would discribe as a unit like you might have,,,, guess the guy was a salesman for buddy heaters???? I did grow up without seatbelts or hand sanitizer so what do I KNOW. Even though they may be safe in a sealed room I use vents and I dont know of a tent that is sealed tight enough for it to be of any issue. Common sense and read the directions.

I’ve used one in a canvas tent and a cargo trailer/camper conversion and I’m not dead yet. Run them all night on low just to keep the temp up a little. The majority of people will all say it’s a non issue, but you’ll always have a couple who claim it will kill you.

Ran propane heaters all day/night in small ice shelters with no issues. Should be ok in a tent.

def90

WKR
I would have to think that a tent is leaky enough that you would never be able to have enough of a CO build up to be an issue, but who knows. Just turn the thing off when you go to sleep of you're concerned.

OP
R

RSC12

FNG
Sorry for the delayed response guys. Just wanted to say thanks for all the help. FYI I just purchased a new kodiak 10x14 VX model (planning on using it with the family in warm weather and the wife really wanted more ventilation). Im just planning on using the buddy heater when doing late season hunting and I'll just crack a couple windows. I'll still bring a CO detector but feel confident this shouldn't be an issue. Thanks again for the help.

lak2004

WKR
I use mine in a sealed shipping container (door slightly cracked) and haven't passed out yet.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Titan

WKR
I use a 12v RV propane detector at night since we leave the tanks inside. We do not burn at night. We still just everything off completely, but just in case we have the detector.

I hook it up to a small lawn mower battery with a switch. Battery lasts all 10 days without a problem.

OP
R

RSC12

FNG
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if anybody ever hooked up a detector to a battery like that. I've been trying to find a cheaper portable gas detector that could be used but they're not as easy to find. The RV detector and lawn mower battery might be the ticket. Thanks for that.

Against better judgement, I have run a little buddy heater on high through the night before with all 4 door/window openings cracked and the 2 vents open in a 10x14 deluxe model. One night it got down to about zero outside and all of our water froze even with the little buddy running full tilt.

Opah

WKR
I have used Mr heater for years in my Kodiak 10X14 canvass tent, over night and none of even got a head ache.

Visit the Mr. Heater Store

4.6 out of 5 stars 967 ratings

Color: Grey
Style Name: Heater

• ,000- to 9,000-BTU radiant heater for spaces up to 225 square feet. Approved for indoor/outdoor use; clean-burning; nearly 100-percent efficient
  • When operating the heater at altitudes over 7,000 FT above sea level the heater may shut off.
  • Auto shut-off if tipped over, if pilot light goes out, or if detects low oxygen levels
  • Fold-down handle; swivel-out regulator; connects to propane tank (not included).Fuel Type:propane