CO dogless public land bird hunting

onderz

FNG
Growing up I did my fair share of private land bird hunting in CO, WY, and ND but we have always had a dog along. Not sure if anyone has any tips, tricks, or tactics going forward without a dog, but figured I'd ask in case someone else is in the same boat and has had some luck. Just been having the itch to get out now that my other tags are filled but I'm still a little hesitant now not having a dog along.

WKR
The loss rate on wounded pheasants is so high that I won't hunt them without a dog. Waterfowl would be doable though. Right now there are just tons of geese up I-76. Be worth doing a guided goose hunt as right now I think it would be epic.

Its not the same without a dog, but its definitely better than being indoors. The wound loss is something to worry about, just don't shoot doubles. Shoot, watch down, retrieve. As for specific tips, what bird are you chasing?

After that, get a dog.

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been doing a bit of duck & goose with a guide on the Front Range and have been very successful. Don’t have a dog for hunting and don’t want to invest in a trailer load of decoys, so it’s worked well for me

rmrwade

FNG
for pheas, start and stop a lot. walk all cover all the way out to an edge. throw rocks into cover mark them when they fall and haul a$$ over there to find them.
chukar listen in the canyons and glass for moving birds. late season sharptail and huns. just go for a walk and hunt them up after you bump them. get a pack , sling or gun bearer ducks and geese just set up where you can get a retrieve on them. absolutely can be done. grew up hunting that way with my dad. we had tons of fun. that being said I have been running drathaars since 1992. way more better

jmez

WKR
On big fields concentrate on the edges. Most of the pheasants will be within 50 years of the edge. I'll second the stopping a lot. That I'd when they will fly. Run to the spot they fell.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Another option is to try and find someone with a dog to hunt with. If you have a spot with birds that you're willing to share, many dog owners would love to hunt just to work their dogs. I have a shorthair and offer to go out with guys here where I live. I don't even care if I carry a gun. I just love seeing the dog work. Maybe there are some guys on the forum in your area that would be willing to hunt with you. I've done my share of dog less bird hunting when I was younger but it's not the same especially when hunting pheasant. Too many lost birds. Good Luck

ruttedup

FNG
put a weather radio at the end of a ditch or field on high volume, a bunch of them will keep running but a lot will hold up at the end