CO: Don’t have to Register a Kill?

Nwaneal

FNG
Newbie here,

Doing my research for my first western hunt this fall. I’m noticing that you don’t have to register your kill if you are successful. Is that right?

Seems like that would be an easy way for the CPWD to gauge success rates, herd numbers, etc. I’m from Arkansas and it’s really easy to register our deer harvest.

Just curious what I’m missing.

Thanks!

This attempts to explain their process. They also collect a lot of info in the units that require CWD testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
Newbie here,

Doing my research for my first western hunt this fall. I’m noticing that you don’t have to register your kill if you are successful. Is that right?

Seems like that would be an easy way for the CPWD to gauge success rates, herd numbers, etc. I’m from Arkansas and it’s really easy to register our deer harvest.

Thanks!
You’re not missing anything.

You’re assuming they care how many Elk get harvested.

They don’t

Last edited:
I get a inquiry every year from CPW on my success. Last two years they called me on my cell phone.

LostArra

WKR
Newbie here,

Thanks!
Welcome to big game hunting in the west where common sense and simplicity are rarely found.

I'll never understand why a survey of hunters, successful or not, is better than an online/phone app harvest requirement found in most other states. I can only come up with two reasons: someone with influence is in the survey business or they don't want more accurate data.

In fairness, Colorado is not the only state that doesn't require harvest reporting.

Welcome to big game hunting in the west where common sense and simplicity are rarely found.

I'll never understand why a survey of hunters, successful or not, is better than an online/phone app harvest requirement found in most other states. I can only come up with two reasons: someone with influence is in the survey business or they don't want more accurate data.

In fairness, Colorado is not the only state that doesn't require harvest reporting.
No penalty for skipping the survey or reporting false results either?

That makes me lean toward your "not actually wanting more accurate data" theory.

Their idea of more data like other western states is fly overs and surveys. Not unique in the west. In NM it is mandatory to do the survey. The surveys assume that everyone is telling the truth. We all know hunters wouldn’t lie. The ones that do are probably democrats and BHA BOD’s and some of their constituents. ;)