CO Elk!! Any suggestions??

kulpak02

FNG
Hey whats up fellow outdoorsman!! I have some questions and I was also seeking opinions. I thought this was a great place to come looking. My Brother and I have elk hunted in CO Unit 12 3 times now and we have been successful all 3 times. All 3 have been 2nd season. However we have always hunted that unit with other guys. This year they are not going and we still want to hunt Elk. So we are thinking we maybe should change Units for new scenery. We were talking about going around other people and 2 guys have asked if they could join in the fun. Of course we said yes. Taking 2 guys out to CO that have never hunted Elk and giving them the experience will be amazing.

Nobody has any PPs. We are looking at first season right now in units with good draw odds at 0 pts. Right now (and we know time is running out) we have it narrowed down to a few units. 12, 18, 28 are the 3 that we are strongly considering but not committed 100% yet. Those are just the 3 that stood out using OnX, Gohunt and Google Earth. We have some ranges, drainages, and a few trails marked on my OnX right now for those units. I also got an area of a unit to check from a guy on this site. I am still checking that out. There are some other units that we have looked at and feel ok about also. Its doesn't really matter to us if we get bull or cow tags. Its all about the meat. We are all taking tents so we don't have to stay at hotels. Unless first season this year is anything like last year. Then we might have to break down and use a hotel. We would like to backpack in to get away from the road but if sleeping at the trailhead is a good option we arent opposed to that either. Any suggestions?

I am just looking for your opinions on the units and if you think another unit would be a better option for us. We are coming from PA and we are planning on having a day of scouting before the season. Thanks for reading and Good Luck to you all turkey hunters!!

Last edited:

Jbehredt

WKR
9 for 9 in CO for elk and you’re looking to change things up??? If it ain’t broke my friend..... Especially if you’re trying to show some new guys the ropes. Drag a couple newbies through the downed timber in 18 or 28 for a few days while telling stories about your previous successful hunts and they might hang you in a tree..... if they can find a live one still standing.

Well, you have gone 3 times and been successful 3 times. Sounds like you are doing well in that unit and you want to change. There are plenty of OTC units up there with choices of terrain. Try 3/301 up the road a bit. It is very different than 12. Good luck.

tdhanses

WKR
I should have included that the reason we feel like we shouldnt go to Unit 12 is we usually go there as a group. The group isnt going this year. Usually There are 10 of us. This year it's just my brother and I going. We feel like since the other guys that helped find this spot isnt going we shouldnt either. Kind of a respect thing Thoughts?

Personally I think it’s ok just don’t bring anyone new. If a new person goes with you then find a new area.

I would talk to the group and see if they care that 2 new people go there. If they care than I would find a spot that has the same things your normal spot has.

Reactions: lif
Personally I think it’s ok just don’t bring anyone new. If a new person goes with you then find a new area.
I think that's what he's suggesting, and until I read the part about not bringing new guys into a place he was a guest himself, it didn't make sense. But now it does. And I respect that.

I can also appreciate the desire for a change of scenery.

kulpak, I don't have a lot of suggestions for you, but I wish you luck. I think you are approaching things the right way. I hunted the 12/231 boundary for a season and it was a great season but I had the wrong tag in my pocket 4 times in 7 days. Last year, I brought a new friend and we went North and West into lower country and I really enjoyed the change. Instead of doug fir and aspen we were hunting sagebrush and pinon and it was a welcome change.

OP
kulpak02

kulpak02

FNG
Unit 66 is the place to be.
Yeah I really like that unit it is huge! I would have no idea where to start but I would love to get in there and just start hiking. From what I read our chance to draw with 0 pts is 0. Maybe I read that wrong. I will go back a revisit. Thank you.

sndmn11

WKR
The first question I would answer is if you saw other hunters consistently during these hunts? If the answer is yes, then it isn't a secret area and I would have no issues going back. Going three for three is less about the spot and more about the hunters, especially in that unit. Apply for a preference point first choice, and E-M-011-01-R for a second choice and go have fun.

Jpugs

Lil-Rokslider
I would stick to where you have been killing elk every season! Just ask the other hunters out of respect if they mind you mind bringing 2 new guys. Also from PA here. Ive been going to the same spots/same unit myself by since I always seem to be into elk I dont wander around new units, since there is elk in every unit, I feel that learning to hunt my unit makes the hunting better and better as I learn more about the unit. But on the other hand I know what you mean about change of scenery, I say I will do it every year, but find myself back at the same unit just learning more and more about it. I've never rifle hunted elk as i prefer archery so I cant comment on 0 point rifle draws as I never look into them but, every unit has elk, you just need to find them. as everyone says, they are where they are. Good luck!