CO Elk elevation

Took a scouting trip over labor day weekend. Didn't see much but spotted Elk at 11.8k.
How much elevation (high to low) could they move in 6 weeks?

So they were at timberline in your unit? Anything can happen, but it can take a lot of snow to push elk down. It's all dependent on weather, hunting pressure, and/or whatever the cows decide to do. The cows will follow food and water sources. The little bulls will tend to linger with the cows and the bigger ones will disappear to the hell holes they always run to.

jog

FNG
I have seen foul weather come into the rockies even during archery and push the elk down. So anything can happen. They can handle an amazing amount of fierce weather before dropping down but they are just like us sometimes and the first snow squall with a lot of wind and some cold they will sometimes just bail off into the timber. But I agree it can take a lot of snow for them to get lower, unless they just feel like doing it.

OP
H
So they were at timberline in your unit? Anything can happen, but it can take a lot of snow to push elk down. It's all dependent on weather, hunting pressure, and/or whatever the cows decide to do. The cows will follow food and water sources. The little bulls will tend to linger with the cows and the bigger ones will disappear to the hell holes they always run to.
Yeah we camped at 11.8k and spent the morning glassing across the valley and didn't see anything. Started packing up to continue the scout and 12 elk decided to wander through camp. Mostly cows with two young bulls but still awesome to see

joes3

FNG
Man, so much can happen in October.

We've had good luck at 10-1k1 through most of the month, but a big snow storm will blow them off the mountain, right down to the valleys and ranches at 6-8k ft.

Every year is so different, its really hard to generalize. just need to watch how the weather progresses and adapt!

OP
H
I appreciate the advice and knowledge. This will be my first elk hunt and I couldn't be more excited.

OP
H
There's elk at all elevations year round. Dont get too stuck on high elevation, there are a ton of other elevation options.
I think our plan will be to start at timberline and work down till we get into them.

As a newbie, would I do more harm than good if I tried to call? I've been very successful in calling in whitetail during all seasons. Are Elk more aware/keen on minor fluctuations or nuances with calls where I'd actually drive them away or put a bull on alert?

joes3

FNG
I think our plan will be to start at timberline and work down till we get into them.

As a newbie, would I do more harm than good if I tried to call? I've been very successful in calling in whitetail during all seasons. Are Elk more aware/keen on minor fluctuations or nuances with calls where I'd actually drive them away or put a bull on alert?
Simple cow calls can do a world of good. just have to learn how to use them (tactically, not just how to make the sound) and not overdo it.

cnelk

WKR
I hunted a new unit this year. In my GE / boot scouting, I found elk in a small meadow and the GE timestamp was Oct 2017. I went to the same general area last week and killed my bull.

Elk like elk areas.

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
Never know 6 weeks from now but some friends just returned from an archery hunt and per them all the elk were around the 10k mark

jog

FNG
That has been my experience as well in one unit but a buddy knocked down his bull 1st day of smokepole and that was at 9200' in the small timber meadows.

jog

FNG
I have seen a quickie event push them down briefly with little snow. I have seen them stay high in what seem much worse conditions (deeper snow, colder, more wind) once they settle into the winter like weather. To generalize once its more work for them to feed up high than lower they will start down.

OP
H
I have seen a quickie event push them down briefly with little snow. I have seen them stay high in what seem much worse conditions (deeper snow, colder, more wind) once they settle into the winter like weather. To generalize once its more work for them to feed up high than lower they will start down.
From your statement, I gather a higher elevation pocket of open grass would be a good area to monitor for sign as the weather starts to change?

Marble

WKR
Doesn't have to be grass but yeah, feeding areas are where you should concentrate.

The elk will move based upon a totality of circumstances. Wind, temp, bugs, pressure, feeding area and predators etc...

During hunting season, seems like they will travel to the same feeding areas daily, but leave earlier and come out later because of pressure.