Co elk hunt for me, What does wife do?

gibby97

FNG
So I’m elk hunting Sept 13 thru 18th in La Veta, Co and wife is going along but not hunting or tagging along in the mountains. Anyone have any suggestions on what she should go see or do while I’m up chasing my dream hunt?

Just want her to have a good time since this is my first guided hunt. Hopefully she will be v Rey willing to do this again.

hobbes

WKR
I suppose she could shop in Colorado Springs or Denver. Rent her a car if you are flying in or use Uber.

Traffic sucks, so Uber may be her preference. There are some smaller towns around that may be more her thing. If I recall correctly, Trinidad was a cool little town.

My wife and I will be south of you near Weston Colorado elk hunting. My wife is hunting as well. Cuchara is a very nice mountain town with good eats. The Dog Bar has really good burgers. There is a stream that runs through town full of trout as well. She can go check out the castle as well. I’ve never been but it seems cool. But just being out there is pretty awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
It’s an area of very small towns spread out pretty far. Definitely needs a car with gps as cell service won’t be reliable. Also bring a mask😷 🙄

So I’m elk hunting Sept 13 thru 18th in La Veta, Co and wife is going along but not hunting or tagging along in the mountains. Anyone have any suggestions on what she should go see or do while I’m up chasing my dream hunt?

Just want her to have a good time since this is my first guided hunt. Hopefully she will be v Rey willing to do this again.
Give her the CC and let her enjoy wine and actually quite fine dining at Alys’. Did some work down there for a wildfire a few years back and was shocked at how good the food was there.

hobbes

WKR
My wife isn't a big shopper and wouldn't really like being left alone in the bigger cities (like I mentioned above), but I've taken her on hunting trips before and she stayed in town while I drove in and out hunting. As long as she could walk and mostly look in the local shops she was okay. But......even with me coming and going and taking her to supper every night, she was pretty bored after a few days. She'd been to all the shops and seen too much of a hotel room. Are you completely sure that she wants to hang out alone for a week?

OP
G

gibby97

FNG
Guess i should have mentioned that we are driving out and that she will have use of the car being my guide will be picking me up daily. anybody know if the train is still going or did it go bankrupt and shut down?

This would have been an ok plan if you were hunting close to Breckenridge, Vail, Steamboat, Winter Park, Aspen, or even Denver and Fort Collins. Pueblo and Colorado Springs are hefty day drives from La Veta and she won't want to do that more than once. Pueblo sucks anyway. Trying to save you from hardship. Rethink this plan man.

brsnow

WKR
Let her take her own vacation. Elbow season during a pandemic doesn’t sound appealing to stay entertained.

Guess i should have mentioned that we are driving out and that she will have use of the car being my guide will be picking me up daily. anybody know if the train is still going or did it go bankrupt and shut down?

My brother just rode the train in Durango last week with his family. They are only doing the short ride bc a storm messed up part of the track. So 2.5 hours round trip. Better buy tickets in advance. And it looked quite amazing to be honest. I’d love to do it.

9de0a571eb8bafc8d6ec1ad1a1de6547.jpg

242486f5bf8cc77f9f6cb79807f68e35.jpg

rayporter

WKR
make arrangements for the train ride. either Chama or Durango.

if the sliver mine is still open in creede stop there.

tell her not to miss mesa verde.

get a map out and see where these are, they are doable.
the train rides tend to need reservations so plan.

OP
G

gibby97

FNG
My brother just rode the train in Durango last week with his family. They are only doing the short ride bc a storm messed up part of the track. So 2.5 hours round trip. Better buy tickets in advance. And it looked quite amazing to be honest. I’d love to do it.

9de0a571eb8bafc8d6ec1ad1a1de6547.jpg

242486f5bf8cc77f9f6cb79807f68e35.jpg

Finally someone who actually answered my question. Thank you for the info.

Finally someone who actually answered my question. Thank you for the info.

You’re welcome. Also, cuchara has live music on occasion at the Dog Bar. May check and see if you can swing it on one Friday night while you are there if y’all have time. We are there sep 9-20