Co elk hunt for me, What does wife do?

make arrangements for the train ride. either Chama or Durango.

if the sliver mine is still open in creede stop there.

tell her not to miss mesa verde.

get a map out and see where these are, they are doable.
the train rides tend to need reservations so plan.
None of these are feasible day attractions from La Veta.

TNTt321

FNG
Uber?
Durango?

I'm on the side that there are some terrible recommendations in this thread, unless she's willing to take a trip within a trip.

I would recommend getting her a couple nights in a hotel somewhere else so she can see some amazing stuff that takes some time to get to.

Last edited:

rayporter

WKR
my wife left pagosa and went to the grand canyon and took the mule ride.

it is 128 mi and one and a half hr to creede.
it is 136 mi and about the same to chama.

Last edited:

hobbes

WKR
Uber works fine if you are left on your own in the Springs or Denver. Its inexpensive and there is no need to fight traffic that you aren't accustomed to. He did not originally make it clear that she'd have a vehicle. He also didn't make it clear that she would stay in LaVeta.

One thing is likely, she won't be going back to CO if left alone in LaVeta.

Jaker_cc

WKR
If this is your dream hunt I think you should focus more towards your goal of killing an elk. Doesn’t sound like there is much to do in the area you will be in and if she doesn’t want to go out in the mountains with you then she’s stuck staring at 4 walls. During archery season the days are long, like really long. Even longer since you are driving from town every morning and into town every evening. It will be late when you get back even if things were still open you will be wiped out from hunting all day. Why not take her on a vacation of her choosing after your elk hunt? If she was tagging along on the hunt I think it would be a different story, but sitting around in town with not much to do sounds like a recipe for a sour note on what should be a great experience.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here’s some info on the local train ride (some posts earlier were possibly referring to the train in Durango which is not a day trip from la veta) Looks like she would have to drive to Alamosa to board then drive back to la veta, about an hour each way. http://www.railsnw.com/Tours/rio_grande_scenic_railroad/rio_grande_scenic_railroad-railonly.htm

She could also take a trip to the great sand dunes, 1.5hrs each way. The royal gorge is about 2hrs each way.

Each one of the above can be done in a day without too much trouble. Kinda pushing the time frame for a day trip but Pagosa Springs will have a lot more shops and things to do in general.

tdhanses

WKR
There is a good train ride from there to Alamosa. The Sand dunes aren’t far away and Taos NM isn’t too far either. I own a property not to far away and it’s a beautiful area.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
As long as she is a self starter and is willing to put on a few miles there is plenty to see. Royal Gorge is about 2-2.5 hrs N-NW. Monarch Pass is about 2.5 hrs Nw. Tell her to ride the gondola to the top from the shop. Pagosa Springs is 2.5 hrs west through Wolf Creek pass. Most women love soaking in the Springs. She could stay at the Springs hotel for a night and do Durango train from there plus hit the shops in pagosa. Both those passes are very scenic.

If she is not into a driving self tour for the above then the other guys are right. She maybe should stay home.

Not sure why some people want to basically tell them man to blow his wife off and focus solely on hunting. There is nothing wrong with going on a unit and taking your spouse. She may be just as excited to go as him just to get out of the house or see the mountains. Guy just wants to know what she can do for several days while she’s there. He’s not asking for your personal opinion on his wife going....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brsnow

WKR
Not sure why some people want to basically tell them man to blow his wife off and focus solely on hunting. There is nothing wrong with going on a unit and taking your spouse. She may be just as excited to go as him just to get out of the house or see the mountains. Guy just wants to know what she can do for several days while she’s there. He’s not asking for your personal opinion on his wife going....

what are your suggestions for his wife?

007hunter

Lil-Rokslider
You have communicated to her that you are leaving before light and getting back to the hotel after dark, right? After all these years, I swear mine still doesn’t get how hunting works...

what are your suggestions for his wife?

I’ve made several. Read the comments I made above. My wife and I will be in that area as well elk hunting which is why I made the suggestions I made.