CO Elk hunt

First time bow hunt looking into unit 521 in the raggeds looks like a 7 mile hike any tips?

Laramie

WKR
The posts above highlight the real problem with your plan. If you are set on that area, it would be a good idea to contact area outfitters to see if any of them will pack an elk for a fee. In some area of the country, packers can be hired for a reasonable price. Another option is to rent horses. I wouldn't suggest this unless you are experienced with horses and have a hunting partner along to help. Rented horses can be a PIA to deal with but they can really save you on the pack out. All of that said, I agree with the posts above. Especially for your first hunt, stay within a mile or two of a road. Packing elk is seriously taxing business at any elevation but especially so a 8000+.

HNTR918

WKR
The furthest point in the Ragged's in 521 is 5 mi as the crow flies. My suggestion would be to stop worrying about distance traveled, and target areas without a trail running thru them. Look for country that outfitters wouldn't take horses. The Ragged's are hit very hard by outfitters. Also, I'd call the outfitters working in the area and ask if they have any clients out those days and how much they will charge to pack out a quartered bull and how to reach them in the mountains. Most post up big camps at the major trail heads. I've seen them offer this service for between $250-$500 depending on their current workload. I'd also highly recommend keeping a fist full of $20's in your pack, not in the truck. Never know when you might need em. Getting 5 digits high and glassing one of your first days is not a bad strategy as well.

Last edited:

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
My first time backpacking, I remember it well. (2005) Heavy Cabelas frame pack loaded for bear with a couple changes of clothes. I had just read a Cameron Hanes article so I had it all figure out. I hiked in opening weekend about 8 miles. It was only 85 degrees or so. I realized there was not way I was getting an animal out before it spoiled with temps that high. I went home. I killed a bull later that year about 2 miles from the truck when it cooled off. Later I read Hanes book and realized he hired a packer to get elk out, then it made sense.
IMO if you go that deep you need horses or 5 friends that you don’t care to lose, because they are never taking a phone call from you during elk season again.

Not trying to rain on your parade. Go hunt it will be amazing. Just have a plan if you go that deep. Outfitters in CO do not like packing elk out for non clients in my experiences. Maybe you can find one.
Best of luck. I’m missing September this year for a rifle hunt. Swore it would never happen. So go hunt and enjoy it while you can. September is never a guarantee.

vthokee

WKR
The area I’m hunting this year is 4.5 miles from the trailhead to the designated camping area. From the designated camping area it’s about 3/4 of a mile to where you start to get into the elk. My plan is if I get a elk down to get the meat back to camp and then have a packer come in and finish the last 4.5 miles.

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
First time bow hunt looking into unit 521 in the raggeds looks like a 7 mile hike any tips?
Definitely wouldn’t recommend 7 miles. Not to say that it isn’t doable, I don’t know you or what kind of shape you’re in. I’ve been on one otc bowhunt. I thought I could go deep no problem. I was hunting 3 miles deep, which isn’t that big of a deal when deer hunting WV and OH. Only problem is, I realized it took me 5 hours to get back to the truck due to the elevation gain, and that was without an elk. The terrain is definitely a lot bigger and more punishing than it appears on maps. Just trying to save you from the same mistake I made.

GotDraw?

WKR
Here is what you will learn and need to keep in mind when in the backcountry for elk w/a pack and in steep terrain:
  • back home you can cover 3 miles in an hour with a pack
  • in steep backcountry with a heavy pack and off trail, there are plenty of places it will take you well over an hour to travel just 1 mile-- when it's daylight and you're not tired
  • You'll need 4 round trips to get your gear and animal out and that 1,000 to 2,000 ft climb per trip to your animal will become a 4,000 - 8,000 ft climb before you're done
  • every hour you're away from your animal is an hour that Yogi Bear and bacteria are grateful for
Keep these in mind when you are thinking you'll hump meat to camp 3-4x round trip and then call a packer to get it. Also keep in mind that a guide/packer will take care of his clients first and if they're packing in new clients, packing out departing clients or packing meat, they may not get to you for a day or two. Truly.

If you camp near a cold stream, bring large heavy duty trash bags so you can submerge your meat to get the core temp below 50 degrees, then put it back in game bags hanging in the deep shade.

@HNTR918 made a great suggestion of keeping a roll of $20's with you. Outfitters have hunting leases, Guides work for Outfitters, Packers work with/for Guides. Money works like this: 1) Outfitter, 2) Guide, 3) Packer

Don't just call an Outfitter or Guide you've never met in person from your sat phone to say "hey man"- "I got my elk down, come get it". You'll be just another dude from out of state. Try to stop by his corral before you hunt and meet him to say hello. Then slap a $100 handshake on him to share the love and that you look forward to working with his team.

Drop your coolers off full of ice in the shade at the Outfitter or Guide's corral the morning you go up the hill so they can put your meat in your coolers on ice when you come off the hill. If you expect the "Packer" to top off your coolers with ice or transport you meat to a processor to get it right into a walk-in cooler, then you had best figure that out and reach agreement with the Outfitter first. They might lose hours round trip getting your meat to processor.

When it comes time to pack your animal out. Who do you think will most appreciate another $100+ extra pushed his way? The Packer. The outfitter gets paid whatever the packing fee is, you tip the packer well and ask him to put some extra ice on your meat-- in the coolers you left full of ice for him.

Good luck this year!

JL

xziang

WKR
As others have said tip, don't hike 7 miles in unless you have a donkey/goat/llama behind you carrying your gear. 2nd get iutmthere during the summer and get some boots on the ground. 3rd granted you are being so e what vauge but never a fan of putting unit njmbers out there. (Just me)

So much to learn. Put a 5 gallon jug of water in your pack with a porterhouse steak and a pound of ground meat and hike 7 miles 6 times and let us know how the meat smells when you’re done.

At 7 miles in you’ve passed all the elk up!

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
spoilage more than likely if your not with two of the baddest MoFo’s you know!! You got guys like Stealthy Hunter and the Exo guys and Snyder that can accomplish this and makes beautiful action videos....they’ve done this for a very long time. Start somewhere and work your way up....first time I. oTC we did the same thing we lost three days of hunting because we fell in love with a spot that was more than 7 miles in. Don’t pass elk to get to elk.

I backpack hunted solo in an adjacent unit last year during the early bit of archery season, and despite lots of research didn’t find a packer who was available for the specific area I hunted. I made a mental contract with myself that I wouldn’t take a shot at anything further than 3 miles from the road. Once you go, you’ll realize even that would be a serious chore.

There is some good looking country in 521 but, as many have said, you don’t need to go 7 miles in to find elk. Unless you are on horses you’re in for a very unpleasant lesson, and likely an unpleasant hunt.

If you are dead set on humping camp, food, weapon, etc that far in, having a packer on call for meat is an absolute must. It may take some calling around as they are very unit/location specific.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk