CO Elk hunt

I'm glad this thread popped back up, I remember seeing it when you originally posted it. Some of the comments really had me laughing out loud! Glad to hear the trip went well.

arock

Lil-Rokslider
This is a good thread - some priceless responses. This year is my first hunt out west and having the advantage of living out here, I tried the 8 mile hike in to do some scouting (didn't see any animals but did see lots of fresh poop). After experiencing that, I decided it was impractical without animals to pack anything killed out. Found a different spot less than three in to start at. Great hike and beautiful country just not walking back and forth 5 or 6 times carrying ~80 lbs.

This is a good thread - some priceless responses. This year is my first hunt out west and having the advantage of living out here, I tried the 8 mile hike in to do some scouting (didn't see any animals but did see lots of fresh poop). After experiencing that, I decided it was impractical without animals to pack anything killed out. Found a different spot less than three in to start at. Great hike and beautiful country just not walking back and forth 5 or 6 times carrying ~80 lbs.
I did the same thing last year scouted an area doing a 20 mile loop and it was so steep and full of blow down it would have been impossible to get an animal out by myself and I said I’m never coming back here lol. Went to a much easier area to move around in and more manageable and was able to find elk. Now I just have to figure out the killing one part

Well if you can find them you're well on your way, they don't always give up and die instantly, but I think finding them is the part that requires most skill.

Zbow

FNG
Elk are where you find em. Couple years ago I was walking down a dirt road to hit a trail. There was a guy up the hill cow calling. I heard some branches breaking, a few seconds later a 5x5 bull steps onto the road. It was too dark to shoot, the guy calling had no idea the bull was there. This was 100 yards from where I parked on an access road. It would have been an easy pack out.

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
I’m too old & fat to want to pack an elk out 7 miles but if there is a walkable trail and the pack out is down hill that isn’t mission impossible. No trail & lots of climbing steep hills I’m not hunting there. Packed a hind quarter for my cousin 3 mile &1500’ hauling the meat down last year. In & out before noon. 2 trips in a day & id need a couple of extra hours of sleep. 3 trips would likely make me stick to vehicle accessible terrain.