CO Elk hunt

njdoxie

WKR
7 miles. Love these threads. Most people are 4 trips plus camp for a downed bull. You’re going to hike 63 miles in 1-3 days? Half of it with 80lbs in your back? That’s some badassery!
Agreed, it sounds good when you're sitting at home rested and well fed and you've never tried 7 miles in the mountains loaded down, it's another thing when you're tired, sleep deprived, pack feels heavy, and not seeing any elk. Would like to see a post hunt writeup.

Last edited:

sacox31s

FNG
First time bow hunt looking into unit 521 in the raggeds looks like a 7 mile hike any tips?

Also, don't plan for only one spot or even one unit. Research and e-scout more spots and units. Last year 521 was one of the most crowded units I hunted for archery. Many times you'll show up to an overly crowded trailhead you planned for from out of state. All I'm trying to say is have many options. 7 miles, hmm.

KHNC

WKR
No need to keep posting. Looks like he wont be back to read them.

raptor16

Lil-Rokslider

He might not be but I learned plenty by reading. Had no idea what distances most guys were packing in max. I haven't had much experience at high altitude except for one summer when I cowboyed at a north central Colorado ranch. We had to clear all the new deadfall beetle kill off the trails behind the ranch in the Zirkel wilderness and that was some doggone tough work. Saw some beautiful lakes though.

OP
E
No ill be on here just been doing some long hrs going over onx! We hunter MT last yr so I have some idea but I'll take any tips.

OP
E
As others have said tip, don't hike 7 miles in unless you have a donkey/goat/llama behind you carrying your gear. 2nd get iutmthere during the summer and get some boots on the ground. 3rd granted you are being so e what vauge but never a fan of putting unit njmbers out there. (Just me)
I probably would not if I had hunted out there before so was hoping to get some tips from People that have hunted it

OP
E
My first time backpacking, I remember it well. (2005) Heavy Cabelas frame pack loaded for bear with a couple changes of clothes. I had just read a Cameron Hanes article so I had it all figure out. I hiked in opening weekend about 8 miles. It was only 85 degrees or so. I realized there was not way I was getting an animal out before it spoiled with temps that high. I went home. I killed a bull later that year about 2 miles from the truck when it cooled off. Later I read Hanes book and realized he hired a packer to get elk out, then it made sense.
IMO if you go that deep you need horses or 5 friends that you don’t care to lose, because they are never taking a phone call from you during elk season again.

Not trying to rain on your parade. Go hunt it will be amazing. Just have a plan if you go that deep. Outfitters in CO do not like packing elk out for non clients in my experiences. Maybe you can find one.
Best of luck. I’m missing September this year for a rifle hunt. Swore it would never happen. So go hunt and enjoy it while you can. September is never a guarantee.
Thanks for the advice!

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure never been there but we figured the raggeds would have the least because of it being hard to get to.
I would check gohunt, or the Colorado cpw website. That will help you know if an area is crowded or not. Never been there personally, but I do know there are a few outfitters in that area. Usually going that deep you’ll either be by yourself or hunting around drop camps/outfitters. Also make sure people aren’t coming in from the other side somewhere or from private. Might think you have it all to yourself, but if it’s shorter from the other side it defeats the purpose.

OP
E
I would check gohunt, or the Colorado cpw website. That will help you know if an area is crowded or not. Never been there personally, but I do know there are a few outfitters in that area. Usually going that deep you’ll either be by yourself or hunting around drop camps/outfitters. Also make sure people aren’t coming in from the other side somewhere or from private. Might think you have it all to yourself, but if it’s shorter from the other side it defeats the purpose.
Good point!

sndmn11

WKR
Not sure I follow man. You saying the raggeds have less pressure or that there is not a lot of pressure on that unit? Or there is pressure on all of it.

You said you wanted to walk for days to avoid "hunting pressure" but you follow up by saying you don't know where the pressure is. Your plan is off to a good start for a December thread that starts off...."We e-scouted for months, and after an epic pack in that was legendary setting camp in the dark, we woke up to two outfitter camps within 1/4 mile."

Laramie

WKR
I remember being in college in the best shape of my life... And struggling to pack a bull uphill just under 2 miles. I did it and did a friend's the next day but after I swore I'd be more careful where I shot elk in the future. Now that I have grey hair, I just hunt smarter and typically kill my elk within a mile or so of the road. 7 miles is possible with the right group, in the right weather, but it better be 4+ badasses.