CO Elk hunt

Poser

WKR
You said you wanted to walk for days to avoid "hunting pressure" but you follow up by saying you don't know where the pressure is. Your plan is off to a good start for a December thread that starts off...."We e-scouted for months, and after an epic pack in that was legendary setting camp in the dark, we woke up to two outfitter camps within 1/4 mile."

Yep, and nothing will hurt your soul like hiking real hard to get to a hard-to-get-to spot only to find a Goddamned shanty town erected. And the guides who have been guiding on those locations for years know the area like the back of their hands: what the elk tend to do and all of the nooks and crannies that they elk use. Because they have horses and because they guides know the country so well, they can also hunt a surprisingly huge area around the camp.
So, unless you turn around and hike back out, you’re potentially sharing the area with a competitor who out matches you. So, yeah, if you are hell bent on a 7 mile pack in because you think it will get you away from pressure, think again. It’s Colorado and anyone can show up anywhere at any time and outfitters tend to pick “good spots” for a reason.

I’m going to throw down my money and say that there is 0% chance that this 7 mile plan will not end in failure. It may end before it ever happens, it may fail on the first day when reality sets in, it may fail at the 7 mile marker, but it will fail. It’s a terrible plan, probably unrealistic and if you told me that you were hiking in 7 miles to a spot in one of my local units, I could probably figure out where exactly that is within a handful of minutes, tell you all about it and then Explain all of the ways that it’s a terrible idea. But I wouldn’t do that for just anyone as id be more prone to let them make their own mistakes and get their ambitious and optimistic souls crushed by the hammer of elk country. Probably the case that some locals are reading this and laughing right now. If there such thing as a fly trap for NR hunters, it would be this exact spot that’s 7 miles in.

I’m in $40 on failure.

CJF

WKR
Pshhhhhh. Haters gonna hate!! Don't listen to those guys, I say hike in 7 miles and let the good times roll!!! You'll learn some good lessons.

Caveat: make sure you have some communication device capable of sending for help, and don't get in a bind and blame it on me I take no responsibility for your future actions

Poser

WKR
Pshhhhhh. Haters gonna hate!! Don't listen to those guys, I say hike in 7 miles and let the good times roll!!! You'll learn some good lessons.

Caveat: make sure you have some communication device capable of sending for help, and don't get in a bind and blame it on me I take no responsibility for your future actions

As a fact of good faith, you should place your bet on “success.” You in for $40?

Laissez les bons temps rouler

OP
E

Yes sir we have some definitely don't want to be stupid.

OP
E
Yep, and nothing will hurt your soul like hiking real hard to get to a hard-to-get-to spot only to find a Goddamned shanty town erected. And the guides who have been guiding on those locations for years know the area like the back of their hands: what the elk tend to do and all of the nooks and crannies that they elk use. Because they have horses and because they guides know the country so well, they can also hunt a surprisingly huge area around the camp.
So, unless you turn around and hike back out, you’re potentially sharing the area with a competitor who out matches you. So, yeah, if you are hell bent on a 7 mile pack in because you think it will get you away from pressure, think again. It’s Colorado and anyone can show up anywhere at any time and outfitters tend to pick “good spots” for a reason.

I’m going to throw down my money and say that there is 0% chance that this 7 mile plan will not end in failure. It may end before it ever happens, it may fail on the first day when reality sets in, it may fail at the 7 mile marker, but it will fail. It’s a terrible plan, probably unrealistic and if you told me that you were hiking in 7 miles to a spot in one of my local units, I could probably figure out where exactly that is within a handful of minutes, tell you all about it and then Explain all of the ways that it’s a terrible idea. But I wouldn’t do that for just anyone as id be more prone to let them make their own mistakes and get their ambitious and optimistic souls crushed by the hammer of elk country. Probably the case that some locals are reading this and laughing right now. If there such thing as a fly trap for NR hunters, it would be this exact spot that’s 7 miles in.

I’m in $40 on failure.

Hey man good to know thats why I asked for advice!

Gapmaster

WKR
7 miles. Love these threads. Most people are 4 trips plus camp for a downed bull. You’re going to hike 63 miles in 1-3 days? Half of it with 80lbs in your back? That’s some badassery!
Is “badassery” a word??? It should be if it’s not. Maybe it’s like “idiocracy”??

CJF

WKR
As a fact of good faith, you should place your bet on “success.” You in for $40?

Laissez les bons temps rouler
Depends on your definition of success. Killing a bull or coming out unscathed?

fatlander

WKR
He said he hunted MT last year. If that’s the case he knows what 7 miles is like in elk country, or at least he should. He may have never put an elk quarter on his back, but 80 pounds is 80 pounds.

I think y’all are getting trolled.

More power to the OP if he thinks he’s going 7 miles deep to a beautiful looking spot without company from someone with horses, and then get meat without spoilage in September. Elk are like anything else, they are where you find them not where you want them be. This plan is shaking out to be one expensive and exhaustive bow hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E
He said he hunted MT last year. If that’s the case he knows what 7 miles is like in elk country, or at least he should. He may have never put an elk quarter on his back, but 80 pounds is 80 pounds.

I think y’all are getting trolled.

More power to the OP if he thinks he’s going 7 miles deep to a beautiful looking spot without company from someone with horses, and then get meat without spoilage in September. Elk are like anything else, they are where you find them not where you want them be. This plan is shaking out to be one expensive and exhaustive bow hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We did a mule deer hunt and I packed out about 100+lbs of meat 1 trip with a not so great pack.

Poser

WKR
We did a mule deer hunt and I packed out about 100+lbs of meat 1 trip with a not so great pack.

So where’s your head at after reading these posts? Still intending a 7 mile hike in? If so, how many miles off trail and what’s the elevation profile of this 7 miles?

OP
E
So where’s your head at after reading these posts? Still intending a 7 mile hike in? If so, how many miles off trail and what’s the elevation profile of this 7 miles?
I'm torn because if nobody wants to hunt back there but outfitters there gotta be elk back there with 4 guys we can split the elk up into 60lbs each but I also don't want to pass elk up if there are some lower . I talked to ome of the guys and he said if we don't kill one he is packing out a 100lbs of rocks just to say he can do it lol. I think we are gonna spit up and try and find some lower the frist few days if no luck pack back it there and hope for the best none of us care what size elk its our frist time so ill shoot frist elk within 60 yards id be so happy with even a cow!