CO elk tag remorse

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
I drew a 1st season rifle elk tag in CO and now I have FOMO for rut bowhunting. I had zero points going in so I thought I’d swing for the fences and try for the rifle tag, but I expected the archery tag which was my 2nd pick. This is a new draw unit in SW Colorado, it used to be OTC archery.

Am I crazy for having a little remorse? It will be my first rifle elk hunt. Do you all enjoy 1st rifle season as much as a peak of the rut hunt? What say you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

weaver

WKR
I do like the first rifle season in Colorado.
No concurrent mule deer season and generally less crowded than archery and muzzleloader.
The season dates this year are also about as early as ever so that's a plus.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

OP
G

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
I do like the first rifle season in Colorado.
No concurrent mule deer season and generally less crowded than archery and muzzleloader.
The season dates this year are also about as early as ever so that's a plus.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response. Was there any rut activity whatsoever, or was it pure spot/stalk?

Northpark

WKR
I love first rifle. The unit I tend to hunt for first rifle every 2-3 years seems to have more bugling activity during first rifle than September. I’ve archery hunted the unit too so I can compare. Enjoy your hunt and enjoy chasing elk no matter what season it is.

I think unit 12, between Meeker and Craig. No rut activity, very few bugles. Spot and stalk. We did see bulls with cows but they were quite. My elk was with a couple other bulls coming out of a steep nasty canyon . One of them was really big but I never saw it. They were working in and out of thick oak scrub. We had snow above 8500 ft but none at 6500 ft in camp. Being from TN the one thing I did notice was the lack of oyxgen...lol. I thought I was in pretty good shape, not! Going back this year same place 3rd season.

Would love to mule deer hunt there but reportedly you need 10 + points????? We saw an amazing number of mule deer. One doe was wearing an orange radio collar and walked right up to us.

MO-ELK

FNG
I'm in same boat, would rather be chasing them in Sep with a bow but had just enough points for what I think is a decent 1st rifle hunt, drew with 4 pts & I did not expect to get. I have a short window to hunt so dint mind only 5 day season. Its unit 501, only 24 total tags, no mule deer hunt going on & with season falling a bit earlier hoping to catch very end of some bugling. I've only killed a cow with a bow so first bull I see maybe in trouble, even with a boom stick. Good luck to you!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
I love archery, but I just drew my first Colorado tag, and it was first rifle. Really looking forward to it for a change. Think I'm going to layer on Antelope in WY and or MT right after depending if those draws are kind to me.

Now I have to learn the unit I drew, Elevation is going to be higher than what I'm used to in WY and MT too.

There are almost 1200 tags left in the secondary draw for archery. Should be able to turn it back in and get a bow tag.

Rhatter

FNG
I drew a 1st season rifle elk tag in CO and now I have FOMO for rut bowhunting. I had zero points going in so I thought I’d swing for the fences and try for the rifle tag, but I expected the archery tag which was my 2nd pick. This is a new draw unit in SW Colorado, it used to be OTC archery.

Am I crazy for having a little remorse? It will be my first rifle elk hunt. Do you all enjoy 1st rifle season as much as a peak of the rut hunt? What say you?

Depending on the weather, the first rifle falls in a good part of the rut a lot of years. The bulls are usually still active and quite vocal during that season.

My 2 cents, Bowhunters don't put in for rifle tags! To be a positive person, and add value to this thread, 1st rifle is a great tag to have in the right area. I've taken many friends and relatives out to the same place I bow hunt and it always amaze's me what shows up after the archery seasons.

Pray for typical bluebird Colorado weather and you will hear bugles if you're in the right area. The season is short, so you're best off showing up early to find them to avoid wasting time during the actual season

PS.......... If hunting with friends try to keep the number of people to 2 max 3 hunting. Packing elk every day of a 5 day season can be ROUGH!

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I felt the FOMO last year when I hunted the 1st rifle in CO for my first time. I killed a great bull (he was with cows and bugling) but I did miss the rut hunting with my bow. I wish I could do both but I went back to the archery hunt in the same unit this year.
You can turn your tag in and pick up the archery in the same unit most likely, take a look at the leftover tags.

Hi,

I hunted 1st Rifle in Colorado in 2012. I think it could be a great hunt. Problem for us was it took a few days to locate Elk and season was only 5 days long! If you do 1st rifle be sure to go early and scout so that you would have a better chance of being on Elk the first day. Best of luck!

Seth

WKR
As much as I love the archery season, it can be fun to change it up a bit and see the different seasons. It is certainly less crowded and the elk have had a quiet period, acting less pressured.