CO elk unguided private recommendations

Baddog

WKR
Looking at taking 2 old guys and 2 new guys elk hunting. Was thinking a CO self guided private land option in Colorado might be good. Looking for opportunity over trophy quality because of the people going. Just looking online some of the options in the $2500 range look about right, but like all things online its hard to know what you are getting. So I was hoping someone might have an option for where they have gone and like it.
This year or next. Little late for this year probably but that would be a bonus as the old guys aren't getting any younger... Thanks

Morrid7

FNG
I can’t speak from experience with private land self-guided hunts, but you get what you pay for in general. $2500 for exclusive private land with “good” opportunities for elk seems too good to be true IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Baddog

WKR
I can’t speak from experience with private land self-guided hunts, but you get what you pay for in general. $2500 for exclusive private land with “good” opportunities for elk seems too good to be true IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah that’s why I was wanting a actual reference from the someone who’s been there

OP
B

Baddog

WKR
I figure any really good piece of property would be leased to an outfitter

LostArra

WKR
A hunting buddy tried this option a few years ago. If you are the first hunters of the season your chances are better before the elk get wise. My buddy said the elk were there....... at night. But left to other private too early to get on them.
The ranch he hunted just wasnt big enough to hold the elk for very long.

p89

FNG
Try NM might be that price or a littlw more but you can chase them onto public land with your private tag. Also elk arent as pressured and are more vocal aswell as patternistic. Also better genetics usually. Just sayin

tdhanses

WKR
I know about 5 guys that pay to hunt private around Trinidad, they have been doing it for 28years, cost is $3k and you just sit on water holes, not my thing but I see there being a need for it.

For $2500 it better be decent quantity of animals.

p89

FNG
Find a different outfit. Plenty will sell you tags in decent units where you can go DIY on a public land thats better than most private where otherwise youde be lookin at like 1,10,000 in their draw kinda place. Obviously the price will decrease as the unit is less desirable. But you can shoot 300” diy in Nm for around 2500 and have very good odds as long as you have what it takes to seal the deal