CO fires

Whelp... Pine Gulch fire is now the second largest in Colorado history with only ~12k more to go to take over as #1. It was updated to 125k acres from a wind storm last night.

Phaseolus

WKR
Depends on the wind. Right now there are fires everywhere so you’re going to be in smoke. Denver is pretty good today but there was ash on cars this weekend. You can’t see the front range mountains. In ouray the smoke was bad this weekend and the closest fire is way north. If you’re hunting north of 70 you might as well have your head in a camp fire. South of 70 will depend on wind.
The area from Meeker to Steamboat was smoke free yesterday. It all depends on the wind direction. Where I live in Palisade sucked.

brimow

Lil-Rokslider
Those looking at units 7,8,19 should be aware that the Cameron peak fire is going to affect many areas for awhile. Large public land closures and hwy 14 is closed West of Rustic. The fire is currently burning one of my favorite spots and limiting my access to many more. Sad but needed in this area.

Those looking at units 7,8,19 should be aware that the Cameron peak fire is going to affect many areas for awhile. Large public land closures and hwy 14 is closed West of Rustic. The fire is currently burning one of my favorite spots and limiting my access to many more. Sad but needed in this area.
This fire (and the others) are likely to burn well into September and maybe even October if these hot dry conditions remain as they have been for the last month or more. But our forests need a good cleaning thats for damn sure!

There is a spot where I was with a couple buddies opening day last year and saw an amazing bull with a herd of 60 plus cows and a slew of smaller bulls and spikes. It has burned in one of the fires and one of them asked me "how far do elk run from a fire like that?" So I pose that question to the group here, I have no idea. But I bet they don't stick around for long when these big fires get going.

OP
M
Here’s another thing to think about. The smoke in the mountains is THICK! Coming from sea level or close and already struggling in the mountains with altitude sickness and lack of oxygen is only going to get worse with the smoke. I spend all summer in the mountains hiking and I was struggling last weekend with the smoke. It definitely affected me.
I was just driving through it yesterday and it hurt my throat in some spots to breathe it’s going to be an added challenge for sure.

OP
M
This fire (and the others) are likely to burn well into September and maybe even October if these hot dry conditions remain as they have been for the last month or more. But our forests need a good cleaning thats for damn sure!

There is a spot where I was with a couple buddies opening day last year and saw an amazing bull with a herd of 60 plus cows and a slew of smaller bulls and spikes. It has burned in one of the fires and one of them asked me "how far do elk run from a fire like that?" So I pose that question to the group here, I have no idea. But I bet they don't stick around for long when these big fires get going.
Ya I’m not sure you’d think they’d bolt and take off especially with their noses and stuff being way more sensitive then ours I’d think it’d affect them even more but wether that means 10/15 miles or just far enough to escape the heat and some smoke I really have no idea and haven’t really read much about it. Probably a little of both some probably leave the entire area and others prolly just far enough where you’d look and think why is that elk so close to the fire haha

I also read an article today that they’re not sure when or how they’ll get it under control might not happen untill it rains a significant amount or snows.

Why not one more. Hopefully the smoke jumpers get a handle on this one. They have elevation to their advantage. It appears to be on the divide above the Encampment headwaters.

12991485f4f52257d318de042e0b0004.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTFJohn

WKR
Why not one more. Hopefully the smoke jumpers get a handle on this one. They have elevation to their advantage. It appears to be on the divide above the Encampment headwaters.

12991485f4f52257d318de042e0b0004.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That GPS coord is a few miles into the Wilderness area, and just off the Continental Divide. Hopefully the rain that's forecasted shows up without much wind or lightning, as that's a rough area to have to try to fight a fire. Looks like possible snow up there Monday/Monday night as well.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
The Pine Gulch fire is now 139,000 acres making it the largest fire in Colorado's history. Luckily, it is now 77% contained. The fire crews did an awesome job. Headed near there next week. I wonder if the smoke is still bad or is the fire mostly out?

The Pine Gulch fire is now 139,000 acres making it the largest fire in Colorado's history. Luckily, it is now 77% contained. The fire crews did an awesome job. Headed near there next week. I wonder if the smoke is still bad or is the fire mostly out?
Go to https://purpleair.com for real-time air quality data. Anything over 120 is pretty dang thick. I can feel it down to about 100. This morning I don’t see any ratings in the area above 70. They’ll likely rise with the temps, but it’s much better than a week ago.

That GPS coord is a few miles into the Wilderness area, and just off the Continental Divide. Hopefully the rain that's forecasted shows up without much wind or lightning, as that's a rough area to have to try to fight a fire. Looks like possible snow up there Monday/Monday night as well.
It's a wonder that area hasn't burned sooner than now. There is so much blow down and dry, dead wood in there that you could light a fart and burn 10,000 acres.

I had a September hunt planned in and around the Cameron Peak Fire. Everything is shut down so I’m going to exchange my tag for an OTC tag. I hope CPW can help me through the process quickly. I cant buy an OTC tag until my limited entry tag is cleared from the system. I’m worried I won’t have a tag in my hand by the time I leave from Illinois in early September. It sucks because I’ve spent so much time planning for one area and now I have to start fresh with 2 weeks to go. I’m thankful the opportunity to head west is still viable though. Thats why CO is the land of opportunity.
Call the Denver CPW office. They can clear your old tag in minutes. I turned my tag into the Durango office today at 10am and had buying capability by 11am

HondoArcher

Lil-Rokslider
This is one of my concerns since we'll be in the units to the east of the fire. How far away from the fire will the smoke have an affect? Any online maps or resources for seeing the smoke affected areas?
I live near Denver and it has been affecting me a lot. Having an allergic reaction to the smoke. It rained last night and some tonight so things have cleared up for us. The weather has also turned cooler which has a nice feel. They say we have seen the last of the 90-degree weather for the year. Good luck but take a good mask to filter the smoke should it blow your way.

How is the pine gulch fire looking today? Hoping it is just about over with. Generally hunt unit 34, but looks like i might have to go to the back up plan. Any help with the current condition of 34 would be greatly appreciated. Did not buy the OTC tag yet Thanks!