CO First Rifle Strategy/My first elk tag questions

I have questions about strategy and other things for my first elk hunt this fall. But first some info that might be pertinent to this hunt.

Hunters = Novices
There are 4 hunters going in our group with Mature Bull elk tags. I am the only person that has been on an elk hunt, so we are rank novices. I have never held a tag and the hunt I went on was in a trophy unit in New Mexico during the rut therefore very, very different. I am kind of the driving force behind the group and have the responsibility of planning for the hunt. We will have one day of scouting before the season opens. We are planning to base camp and hike in to day hunt different areas. We will have the ability to bivy out over night if necessary.

Area = Different than many in Colorado
The unit we are hunting in Colorado is of moderate elevation (mostly 6000'-8500') and there are a ton of roads and trails. It appears you can go almost anywhere on two tracks. There is one roadless, wilderness type area of approximately 18,000 acres. From internet searches, the wilderness type area mentioned above is also an area that is often suggested as a good place to look on various forums over the years. Outside of this area, there are not very many areas more than 1 mile from a road or trail. This unit is an OTC unit though we will be there during a draw season, so I am expecting to be hunting elk that are pressured for the duration of the archery hunt. There are 900 MB tags and an additional 100 Cow tags available for this unit during this hunt. The only mitigating factor is that those 1000 tags can be used in any of 5 units, though the unit we are concentrating on has the most elk habitat of those five. First rifle is a 5 day season in CO.

E-Scouting
I have subscribed to Elk101 and watched a bunch of Randy Newberg videos. I think I have listened to every elk podcast ever. I have dropped enough waypoints on the unit in OnX that I have to zoom in to see the map. I have not yet contacted the local CP&W biologist, but I wanted to have my ducks in a row to ask specific questions of them when I do. I have mainly followed the Randy Newberg model of looking for sanctuary areas in the post rut, but this is a unit that it is tough to get more than a mile from roads.

Based on that information, many of you could probably guess the unit. As I am a NR that doesn't know shit from shinola, I'd like to not name the unit on an open forum for those people that hunt the unit year after year.

1. Hunting strategy - Is there anything you would do differently in a short, 5 day season than you would on a longer hunt?
2. Calling - first rifle is from October 13th-17th. Will bulls respond to location bugles during this time for scouting purposes? Is cow calling a waste of time? I know it won't be hot and heavy like the peak rut, but there should be some cows coming back into estrus around that time that didn't get bred during the peak rut.
3. There are 4 of us and we plan to split up and hunt in two different groups. Would it be worth it to tow an ATV all the way up there for one of the groups? I am assuming that you can travel farther and faster on the two tracks with an ATV than a 4x4 full size crew cab truck. Or, just a waste of time and gas money?
4. E-Scouting - I have concentrated on the unit with the most elk habitat and a small portion of a bordering unit. Should I be scouting all five units that the tag is good for? In the other units there are less elk habitat and more landowner conflicts.
5. Will elk be more concentrated on winter range areas or summer range areas during mid-October?
6. Since there is only one roadless area and no real backcountry, I am concerned that this area will draw more hunters than it would in a unit with more backcountry and wilderness. But, on the other hand, when I was in New Mexico the locals all seemed to truck hunt and we didn't really see anyone once we got off the road. Will a unit full of roads draw more local road hunter types? Or in a unit full of roads will the only wilderness areas be full of dudes packing into the one wilderness area?

Sorry for the long post and thank you very much if you took the time to read it.

EG

I'd suggest calling the biologist asap. He is about to be really busy.

I've heard significant calling during 1st season and they've been silent other years. I'd listen for bugles before doing my own bugling.

You won't know how far you can get on those roads with a truck until your in the unit. It might be worth it, it might not. You won't know until you get there unless you have local knowledge. Something a biologist/wildlife officer can answer.

Good luck!

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
I just bumped a big ass mature bull yesterday less than a 1/4 mile from a major road so..........?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
There are 4 hunters going in our group with Mature Bull elk tags.

The unit we are hunting in Colorado is of moderate elevation (mostly 6000'-8500') and there are a ton of roads and trails.

Colorado doesn't differentiate their bull elk tags as "Mature" or otherwise. There are either sex tags, and there are bull only tags as far as bulls go........that's it.

530Chukar

WKR
Think I know what units you’re talking about. I hunted first season last year but not in the same unit. The elk were bugling before season all the way through the last day still. Go as high as you can. The elevation you’re talking about if fairly low for that time of year. There are elk that will live year round on the low el action private so not going to say you won’t see them there. The roads are going to be hammers with atvs. From what I’ve seen most of those people will be running up and down the roads and glassing from the roads. Very few will be hiking off the road in that area. If I were you I’d lean towards the roadless area. It’s a very short season so be prepared to move to a new location if you go the first 2-3 days without seeing any elk. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E
Colorado doesn't differentiate their bull elk tags as "Mature" or otherwise. There are either sex tags, and there are bull only tags as far as bulls go........that's it.

Its a bull only tag in which the bull must have 4 points on one side or a 5" brow tine.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Its a bull only tag in which the bull must have 4 points on one side or a 5" brow tine.

Yes, that's the 4-point rule. But there are a bunch of 4 and 5-points running around out there, and they aren't mature bulls.

That 1st rifle season even though it's all draw........gets a ton of pressure every year. It's been years since I hunted it, but I always hunted at 10k+ feet when I did. Just study the maps and pick places where you think a bull would go when pressured.

Thanks for the responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember that the success rate is low and that success rate is including very experienced elk hunters. I had to remember that the years I have gone out. I had to remind myself that I was lowering those odds not raising them. My point is that I had much more fun when I changed my idea of success. You certainly want to do your homework and prepare yourself as well as you can, but go and have fun. Just seeing elk for the first time was fun for me. Just hunting in a different state was fun for me. Dont put too much pressure on yourself and make sure your party understands that and you will all have more fun.

OP
E
Remember that the success rate is low and that success rate is including very experienced elk hunters. I had to remember that the years I have gone out. I had to remind myself that I was lowering those odds not raising them. My point is that I had much more fun when I changed my idea of success. You certainly want to do your homework and prepare yourself as well as you can, but go and have fun. Just seeing elk for the first time was fun for me. Just hunting in a different state was fun for me. Dont put too much pressure on yourself and make sure your party understands that and you will all have more fun.

I did that up front. I think we will be lucky to fill one tag between the four of us, but no matter what we will have a good time in beautiful country.