CO Front Range - Fishing link up

Vandy321

WKR
Who's been out chasing trout during the shutdown?

Figured I'd start a quick front range (Denver/C-Springs) area fishing thread. Some great water around here, and no shortage of folks on the rivers, figured maybe a rokslider or two could use this as a way to go throw some flies and share some fishing sometime....with 6 feet of separation, of course.

Heading out to tomorrow. Who's been having luck on the river lately?

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Awesome...she catch anything?

We went up eleven mile saturday, a little cold for the baby, the wife was nice enough to hang in the car while I fished just a bitIMG_1601.jpg

ShakeDown

WKR
We probably passed you! No luck, we didn’t spend much time with wet lines. Our 1 year old is a savage and ran into the water, then screamed at us for having the audacity to pull her out. It was pretty cold!

4565C969-4BE5-4C70-8A67-0A250C52CD24.jpeg

Stalker69

WKR
Been catching a few carp on the fly rod ( pre last storm) . Seen some starting to move up agin today, hope nice weather returns so I can get after them again. I been jonesing all winter.

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
Stalker-

Where do you head for carp? Just anywhere on the platte in the city? I would love to do it sometime and the trout just get a tad repetitive for me. I would like to try to get away from the homeless people as well haha. I was even thinking some of the WMA’s out eat along the platte. There’s gotta be some stray smallies or even a walleye or two in there.

Stalker69

WKR
I have fished the Platte twice, ( I just got into fly fishing last year) I can see them ( carp) but I’ll be dammed if I can get them to eat. There is centennial lake at federal and Quincy I think it is, that is where I park. I can fish the lake and walk over to the Platte. I have caught a 32” out of centennial. I was there the other day but they have not moved up yet this year. If the weather warms and stabilizes it should be soon. There’s a few “ mud holes” by my house I have the most luck on, but they are smaller fish. If you like bass, sunfish, crappie cotton wood is a cool little lake. Jewel and Kipling. For some big carp ( very educated, or higher IQ then me) main reservoir at Kipling and Florida is ok, they are not up yet there either. In fact I usually don’t see them there until later then most places. The closer you fish the Platte towords chatfield , I would think you could catch walleye, small mouth, perch, trout. I usually fish lakes, ponds. But any of the lakes, ponds, mud holes around town have carp, and they are a kick in the ass to catch. You have to be able to see them feeding,It’s like hunting fish.

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Anybody want to head to the Ark or Eleven Mile tomorrow? Shoot me a pm

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I slept in a bit, didnt make the longer drive to the Ark...but I can confirm, eleven mile is open, top to bottom. It was an absolute zoo there today, but pulled a few nice rainbows out

I just moved to Colorado Springs from Alabama. Never been fly fishing before but looks like I’ll need to start learning. My wife and three boys will be moving out in the next couple weeks. Any tips on places to take them fishing would be appreciated but not expected. The boys are excited to get out here to start camping and getting outdoors more.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Check out Landon Mayers book, he's good some good info on all the typical streams to fish out here. And some good general techniques and flys to start for each. Recommend maybe getting a guide one afternoon to learn how to nymph, streamer and throw drys...then just hit it on your own while you perfect your technique.

I'm no pro, but I get lucky every once in a while...pulled this cuttbow out of the eagle yesterday...just got back from 5 days fishing the frying pan, eagle, blue, s. Platte, and lower ark. Plenty of water around. Some an hour away, some others 3-4 hours away. If you get set up and want to tag along, feel free to reach out, I'm happy to pass along my limited knowledge.

I'd also recommend the orvis video series on youtube that goes over everything from casting techniques to reading water, to bugs, etc.

Welcome to the springs. 20200530_161133.jpg

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I drove out to Eleven Mile yesterday and it started to thunder and lightning so I didn’t get to wet a line. Drove down to Lake Pueblo this morning to check the area out. I’ll probably look into hiring a guide for a day to learn the technique and then go from there.

Stalker69

WKR
Pueblo has some good bass fishing, my son fishes a lot of tournaments there ( as did I until I sold my boat). Really no need for a guide, other then the boat. But if you have a boat, or kayak you can usually find fish. We catch them on jigs, tubes, crank baits, spinner baits from time to time. But plastics seem to be the most reliable, green pumpkin or shades there of. Catching fish there is normally not an issue, catching them over 15” ( what we need to weigh in) is. They have some nice walleye and crappie to.

I’ve heard the fishing is good at Pueblo. I was thinking about a guide to help teach me how to fly fish since I’ve never done it before. I feel like I could watch some videos and learn but maybe now lol

Stalker69

WKR
The best place to learn to fly fish is a small lake with bluegills and bass. They are easy to convince, you can get away with a lot of “ slop” and they usually take the fly with some authority, they are not picky as far as matching the hatch. And you should be able to find some place close you could walk to or ride a bike. So you can do it often, after work and stuff. A guide would be great if you have the money, but it’s easy to get the basics down on your own and then the more you do it the better you get. Then try and pit your skills against the “ smarter, pickier” fish species. This of course is only my opinion, and I am far from an expert. So my advise is worth exactly what you paid for it haha . The main thing is make it fun, and not work. And sunfish are great to teach you that.