CO front range Mini-Death Hike?

Wondering if a few people local to the front range would be interested in arranging and planning some sort of challenging off trail hike or series of hikes. Maybe some of you are familiar with the Exo guys and their Hunt Backcountry podcast and the Death Hike (as named by them) that they do every year. It's been discussed on here before in some threads. Their’s is a bit more extreme than what I have in mind at the moment. Maybe something in the 10-20mile range? a good excuse to train for fall and maybe meet some new friends?

If you are a DoD ID holder come out to the Air Force Academy and do the Falcon 50 on 30 April. Has a half marathon and marathon ruck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Bobrobheimer
Thanks for the suggestions. I would prefer to do something in the hills and get that up and down and even be off trail. That way it would translate more directly to hunt training.

OP
Bobrobheimer
We didn’t end up making it happen this year. A bunch of us bailed at the last minute. Related - I just learned about a route called the pfiffner traverse that really appeals to me. 78ish miles so qualifies more as fully size death hike but I am definitely gonna give it a go in the next year or so.

Zigggy

FNG
You can piss off the mountain bikers in Evergreen and do bergen peak in a loop more or less. That's about 10 miles and +2000 feet in elevation gain.
yeah, that's just dumb. Lots of mountain bikers that bowhunt. Don't be that guy and do that. Foolish too, get hit on a blind corner by a mountain biker going full send...

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah, that's just dumb. Lots of mountain bikers that bowhunt. Don't be that guy and do that. Foolish too, get hit on a blind corner by a mountain biker going full send...
You’re right, no need to alienate user groups. I liked the comment but from a perspective of it being open to multiple user groups so there’s no reason to complain about others on the trail (assuming it’s within rules of that trail).

The MAC center in Castle Rock ending with the stairway to heaven might be a good place to start.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Whatever route is chosen for the death hike, it needs to include a section of blowdown, preferably going uphill at 60-70 degree angle, and a section of 'pine tree nursery' where there's only 2-6 foot pines growing and you have to crawl your way out with your pack and rifle on.... I found a place like that this year in my attempt to find an easier route up the mountain, trying to block it out of my memory, lol.