CO G12 Nanny Tag

kpalu

FNG
Got super lucky and drew a Nanny Tag for G12. I'm planning on scouting several times this summer. Anyone else have success with a Nanny tag in 12? Just looking for a push/general direction for initial scouting. I've been through Aspen but never to the Maroon Bells.

Congrats! Fun tag. Making sure you are shooting the correct gender can add a bit of stress to the hunt but finding them isn't to difficult. Anywhere around pyramid peak, marron bells, avalanche pass, or Snowmass area. You shouldn't have any trouble other than keeping your self from shooting a Billy. Shoot me a pm and we can chat if you want.

Your biggest challenge will be learning how to sex them. Don't let anyone tell you that young billies, or even older ones won't be in the middle of the herd. I've seen it many times with kids feeding right next to a young billy as they were grazing up slope and the herd is mingling. Just take your time, they're not going anywhere.

OP
kpalu

kpalu

FNG
Your biggest challenge will be learning how to sex them. Don't let anyone tell you that young billies, or even older ones won't be in the middle of the herd. I've seen it many times with kids feeding right next to a young billy as they were grazing up slope and the herd is mingling. Just take your time, they're not going anywhere.
Sexing them almost prevented me from applying for the tag. It will force me to get close and take my time which I think will make it a better hunt.

I agree! Also, I'm not sure how much experience you have in CO with goats, but they are very approachable in many areas.

OP
kpalu

kpalu

FNG
No experience with goats. I’ve avoided the maroon bells because of the crowds. Just looked at campsites in the area and they are completely booked out for the summer

I drew a G12 either sex tag for 2nd season. Are horses an advantage in this unit? would it be better for the winter coat to hold off the hunt till late late Sep or early Oct? Lots of questions thanks for the help.

skierhs

WKR
Congrats! I havea buddy who has the same tag. Its a shit show with crowds but beatifulcountry. I have spent a lot of time in there helping buddies with hunts and it can be extremely dangerous country. A few seasons ago, they were flying people out everyweekend. Stay safe!

Congrats! Fun tag. Making sure you are shooting the correct gender can add a bit of stress to the hunt but finding them isn't to difficult. Anywhere around pyramid peak, marron bells, avalanche pass, or Snowmass area. You shouldn't have any trouble other than keeping your self from shooting a Billy. Shoot me a pm and we can chat if you want.
I also drew this tag but mine is either sex. I would certainly be interested in some recommendations or information if you are willing to give some up.

Darin

FNG
I hunted the East Snowmass creek drainage last September. The Snowmass ski area side of the drainage had a load of goats. Willoughby Mtn had goats as well. I ran into 5 other tag holders in this area. Lots of hikers on the trail.