Co GMU 41,42 1st rifle, any help appreciated!

Dromsky

Lil-Rokslider
Drew 1st Rifle elk in DAU 14 which includes GMU's 41,411,421, 52 and 521, new to this unit and just starting research. Any suggestions or advise of places to start or avoid researching would be appreciated. I have 4wd and mobile camp, typically want to use roads to access glassing spots mornings and evenings to locate elk. Hiking and packing friendly but solo at 57 gotta keep it realistic.
Thanks Fellas and good luck this year!

Best advice I can give for those units is to not be very picky. Any legal bull in those units would be a good accomplishment. We've hunted in and around those areas for years, and so have many people I know. Not many big bulls but you should have fun and see some elk. Those units are hit very hard by the locals so expect plenty of company, but that will help keep the elk moving around. Make sure you have plans A-E as you may run into a ton of locals, and you may have some variability in elevations that the elk will be hanging out in depending on how hot it is this year. Good luck, I'm sure you'll have a blast!

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
My group hunted on top of Battlement Mesa 2 years ago 1st season. We were pretty disappointed in the area and chose to not return. Couple groups we talked to said the hunting had been getting worse and worse over the past few years, but who knows if they were just trying to protect their spot. Gorgeous country, just seemed to be lacking elk. Shoot me a pm if you want more details/specifics!

Heath