CO Gmu 49 elk archery tag fingers crossed

Cliffy12

Lil-Rokslider
Used my 6 points to try for an archery 49 tag. I'm hoping I will get it. Might need some insight to the unit, I haven't been up that area. I'm E-scouting the area already in hopes to get the tag. From what I have read it has gone down in quality over the last few years. I'm not going for trophy just hoping for some quality action. I haven't got an elk with my bow yet so I'm hoping this will be the year.
Looking to backpack in a few miles and hunt an area for a few days then come out and try another area. Not going too deep on the backpacking as I will be solo for most of it. I have a few buddies that are going to try to come for some of it. Looking at the south part of the unit for most of it. Mainly the border into the Buffalo peak wilderness.
I think I'm going the first week of September for 7-9 days. If I'm not successful that week I will take 4-5 days the last week to try again.
Any thoughts or comments on the plan so far?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

marktole

WKR
If you’re a resident, that might work great. If you’re a non resident with 6 points, you will probably enjoy watching this unit creep away from you forever and ever.

I’m a non res with 6 points chasing that unit as well. 79% chance to draw it with 6 last year, it’ll creep again this year and I’m guessing 6 points will be about a 0-20% chance to draw it (meaning it might take 8 to guarantee a tag and 7 will have like a 85% draw success rate. Also, if a unit takes more than 6 points to draw, non residents are capped at 20% of the tags instead of 35% so it will only get harder to draw from here on out.

As for insight on the area, I went out there a few summers ago to scout it because I thought I’d have good odds of drawing it that year. Boy was I wrong. Anyway, the unit actually had pretty decent road access across a lot of it. The wilderness area is where I would’ve been doing my hunting, just cause I like back pack hunting. So it sounds like you’ve got a good start on a plan.

Good luck, hopefully both of us draw it this year so I don’t keep dragging myself into no man’s land with useless Colorado points!

snarpezal

FNG
Cnelk is right, hunted it last year muzzleloader. Valley floor is 10,000. All the FS roads get lots of non hunter atv travel all summer and fall. The trail heads are full of hikers during hunter season also. We found Elk but had to work hard to get to them. I burned 12 points, because I live close to the unit. I have horses, not saying you have to have them, but was nice. Hope you are successful in the draw.

eshunt

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted 49-2nd rifle two years ago. It is beautiful country, but not worth that many points. There's a decent number of elk, but never saw a bull over 310. And the one decent bull was a long ways off. I wouldn't go into the hunt expecting anything big. We didn't hunt the Buffalo Peaks, we were mostly in the northern half of the unit. Be ready for elevation. The low spots in the unit are over 10,000ft. Most of our hunting was around 10,800-12,000+ even in late October.

If you draw the tag, hit me up and I can give you some more details.

eshunt

Lil-Rokslider
Hunt high and deep. Contact full moon outfitting for thier packing service. You could very well need it
Half Moon Packing - Tom Burch. Good guy that we used on our hunt. But he can only operate in the northern part of the unit.

Felix40

WKR
I tried to draw it last year with 6 points. Unless you are a resident I think you will be out of luck

stonewall

WKR
I considered chasing 49, but decided I’d never catch the creep. I have 4 points now and expect I’m burning them on a different unit. If I had 6 points I think I’d stay in the game

OP
Cliffy12

Cliffy12

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re a resident, that might work great. If you’re a non resident with 6 points, you will probably enjoy watching this unit creep away from you forever and ever.

I’m a non res with 6 points chasing that unit as well. 79% chance to draw it with 6 last year, it’ll creep again this year and I’m guessing 6 points will be about a 0-20% chance to draw it (meaning it might take 8 to guarantee a tag and 7 will have like a 85% draw success rate. Also, if a unit takes more than 6 points to draw, non residents are capped at 20% of the tags instead of 35% so it will only get harder to draw from here on out.

As for insight on the area, I went out there a few summers ago to scout it because I thought I’d have good odds of drawing it that year. Boy was I wrong. Anyway, the unit actually had pretty decent road access across a lot of it. The wilderness area is where I would’ve been doing my hunting, just cause I like back pack hunting. So it sounds like you’ve got a good start on a plan.

Good luck, hopefully both of us draw it this year so I don’t keep dragging myself into no man’s land with useless Colorado points!

I'm a resident so I should draw it. That's how I was feeling with being in no man's land. I hope you draw yours also.

OP
Cliffy12

Cliffy12

Lil-Rokslider
Cnelk is right, hunted it last year muzzleloader. Valley floor is 10,000. All the FS roads get lots of non hunter atv travel all summer and fall. The trail heads are full of hikers during hunter season also. We found Elk but had to work hard to get to them. I burned 12 points, because I live close to the unit. I have horses, not saying you have to have them, but was nice. Hope you are successful in the draw.

I workout 4-5 days a week. Going to start putting in more length workouts. 12 points is a lot to burn on it. I will need your number so when I get my bull I can get some horse pack out help .

OP
Cliffy12

Cliffy12

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted 49-2nd rifle two years ago. It is beautiful country, but not worth that many points. There's a decent number of elk, but never saw a bull over 310. And the one decent bull was a long ways off. I wouldn't go into the hunt expecting anything big. We didn't hunt the Buffalo Peaks, we were mostly in the northern half of the unit. Be ready for elevation. The low spots in the unit are over 10,000ft. Most of our hunting was around 10,800-12,000+ even in late October.

If you draw the tag, hit me up and I can give you some more details.

Yeah it is a lot of points but I don't want to keep collecting them. I just want to have quality draw hunts with 0-1 point units. Honestly I will take the first bull I have an opportunity on. Not looking for size just a good bull and some meat. I need to get an archery kill since I started it up 4 years ago.
I will definetly hit you up if I get the tag, thanks for helping out.

OP
Cliffy12

Cliffy12

Lil-Rokslider
I tried to draw it last year with 6 points. Unless you are a resident I think you will be out of luck
I am a resident so I should have pretty good odds on it I'm hoping.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I drew with 5 last year (not expecting to).........and then turned my tag in when I also drew a moose tag in a totally different unit. This year I just put in for a point.

elkster

FNG
Drew it last year archery. Can see a big difference in grass between opening day and last week. So much that it can change your plans. Lots of access and recreation going on. No problem getting into elk.

OP
Cliffy12

Cliffy12

Lil-Rokslider
I drew with 5 last year (not expecting to).........and then turned my tag in when I also drew a moose tag in a totally different unit. This year I just put in for a point.
Did you get your moose? I talked to you a few years ago about this same unit.

OP
Cliffy12

Cliffy12

Lil-Rokslider
Drew it last year archery. Can see a big difference in grass between opening day and last week. So much that it can change your plans. Lots of access and recreation going on. No problem getting into elk.

Yeah for sure. That's how it is every September. Were you successful?