CO GMU 65 Road Access - Bring ATV??

Bugle

Lil-Rokslider
Planning a September or early October hunt in Colorado GMU 65 in 2020. I'm wondering how good the roads are getting back to Silver Jack Reservoir and the roads south along the Cimarron River (Middle and East Forks). [co rd 861 and 858]

If they're accessible with 2x4 vehicles, I'm assuming the area will be too full of hunters for my liking. Would it be advantageous to bring a side-by-side to get deep into one of the Cimarron River forks, or would it be a waste of time/gas driving from out-of-state?

We are planning a side-by-side or truck Base Camp with Spike Camps if we find elk, or a backcountry camp if the area is usually jammed packed with trucks and ATV's with the same idea as us. Just looking to get out in the backcountry and spend some quality time in the woods with the opportunity to see elk. Anyone with experience in the area?

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not familiar with 65, but if there are roads (regardless of whether they are accessible with 2x4 or 4x4) there will be hunters --probably a lot.

OP
Bugle

Bugle

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not familiar with 65, but if there are roads (regardless of whether they are accessible with 2x4 or 4x4) there will be hunters --probably a lot.

Yeah, I realize that. We plan on getting away from traffic with boots on the ground. I’m just trying to get a feel for the quality of the roads to see if it would be worth while to pull the ATV there, or if a truck will suffice. If anyone has experience driving those roads I’d appreciate the input.

Happy Holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Extrapale

WKR
Get the MVUM from USFS. There were atv and motorcyle only trails in 66, and not having an ATV was a slight disadvantage in those spots. OnX was lacking in trail details where we were at.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

ckleeves

WKR
Both those roads essentially end at trailheads where everybody starts in. They kinda change by the year but I don’t think I have ever needed to kick the truck into 4 dig to get in there unless it’s real snowy. The Silverjack road (Big Cim/owl creek) you can drive a Minivan over.

I hunted 65 last year, hunted NF into the wilderness area and had next to no pressure. Scouted the next county road down from where we camped and it was swarming with atvs because there were ATV trails there. I didn't see a single deer or elk hanging in any of those camps. I would stay out of ATV accessible areas if I was you. I had to gain a lot of elevation to be successful.

OP
Bugle

Bugle

Lil-Rokslider
Both those roads essentially end at trailheads where everybody starts in. They kinda change by the year but I don’t think I have ever needed to kick the truck into 4 dig to get in there unless it’s real snowy. The Silverjack road (Big Cim/owl creek) you can drive a Minivan over.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

I hunted 65 last year, hunted NF into the wilderness area and had next to no pressure. Scouted the next county road down from where we camped and it was swarming with atvs because there were ATV trails there. I didn't see a single deer or elk hanging in any of those camps. I would stay out of ATV accessible areas if I was you. I had to gain a lot of elevation to be successful.

That was my worry with the road access to the 2 forks of the Cimmaron. My hope was to get over the next ridge where there are no trails to avoid people. I'm going to scout in July or August to see how doable that will be. Thanks for the info. If you plan on going back to 65 next season, I'd love to hear how you do. PM me if you're willing to share more about your trip from last year. If not, no worries and best of luck!