CO GMU 681

Everyone,

I'm planning a return trip to Colorado this year for elk. I've hunted other GMU's including 65 and 43 in years past. I haven't been successful in Colorado, but I have learned a ton and look forward to my trips every year. To be honest, our elk hunts have really saved my brother and I's relationship.

Anyways, I'm looking for information on 681. I've been doing some research and have pinpointed several different creek drainages and canyons I'd like to try. Has anyone here had success for elk in 681? If so, can anyone offer advice as to what to expect?

I'm not looking for information on spots or anything. Just general info about the unit and the elk herd itself.

Thanks!

kcm2

WKR
Well, if anyone posts anything good about 681 on the internet, expect a massive increase in the hunting pressure. Some stiff posted on the internet about a campsite off the Colorado River that we like.....after that, there were a dozen camps in a spot where we used to camp alone. The internet can ruin a hunting area quickly.

OP
R
Well, if anyone posts anything good about 681 on the internet, expect a massive increase in the hunting pressure. Some stiff posted on the internet about a campsite off the Colorado River that we like.....after that, there were a dozen camps in a spot where we used to camp alone. The internet can ruin a hunting area quickly.
That’s a very valid point. I wouldn’t want to draw any extra attention to anyone’s spots.

kcm2

WKR
Yup, do your homework quietly. You don't want to hose up your spot or anyone else's.

Unfortunately, you'll have literally two dozen people in the same basin if someone names it on the internet as a spot where he shot a 6x7. It sucks but that's the world we live in.

cnelk

WKR
Do some topo / aerial map work. Select a few interesting areas and then call the area Game Warden.

Ask him/her about those specific spots. Ask if you're on the right track.

You can also look at the Hunting Atlas - https://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html?app=HuntingAtlas

Select 'Game Species'
Then you can select the appropriate boxes that will give you specific layers -
Migration Corridors
Summer Range
Winter Range
Concentration Areas

That should get you a good kick start

OP
R
Do some topo / aerial map work. Select a few interesting areas and then call the area Game Warden.

Ask him/her about those specific spots. Ask if you're on the right track.

You can also look at the Hunting Atlas - https://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html?app=HuntingAtlas

Select 'Game Species'
Then you can select the appropriate boxes that will give you specific layers -
Migration Corridors
Summer Range
Winter Range
Concentration Areas

That should get you a good kick start
I really appreciate that! I have used the Atlas in years past, but I'll be honest in saying that I don't have the greatest understanding of it. But I'm going to devote more time to figuring it out. Thanks again!