CO High Country Mule Deer - Better Binos or Spotter?

UCFJed

FNG
Have ~$900 budget to spend on optics (binos, spotting scope, tripod, bino holder). Currently have an aluminum meFoto backpackers tripod I can use, though it's a bit heavy (2.6lbs).

Have a few options, I've worked out:
  • Option 1:
    • Binos - buy Vortex Viper HD 12x50 new for $500
    • Rent Vortex Razor 11-33x50 or 22-48×65 with digiscope and Leofoto Carbon Fiber Tripod for ~$350
  • Option 2:
    • Binos - buy Bushnell Engage X for $130 or try to find a used Viper HD/similar quality binos for $300 or so.
    • Buy second hand Vortex Razor 16-48x65 for ~$600
    • Use existing aluminum tripod
For the type of hunting I'll be doing (backpacking, glassing for a while looking for bucks), I'm not sure what's the better investment, both in terms of cost and weight. If I draw the tag, I'll be hunting early rifle, so I'd imagine it could be somewhat difficult to find the deer at all. Not exactly trophy hunting and would be ecstatic shooting a 140 class muley. Will also be hunting with a buddy of mine who has absolutely no gear and will be likely renting it all.

Open to other ideas as well!

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We are always here to discuss different options with you and your timing is perfect as we are launching our President's Weekend Sale today through Tuesday. As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to assist in discussing different options and opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have a few moments

Good binos hands down. I dod my first high country hunt last year and had 11x’s 18x’s and a vortex razor 85 mm. I ended up hiding the spotter in some rocks and used just the binos. Although i ised the 18’s a lot i would of been ok woth the 11’s now.
That all being said ot opened my eyes to optics even more and i sold the binos and spotter to buy swaro nl pures woth no regrets.

Edit: also by skipping the spotter the tripod wont seem so bad. Not sure if 2.6 lbs is a lot or not even though. But itll work just fine.

Tmac

WKR
I’d either put most of my Budget into good 10x42‘s and a tripod, then split the rental of a spotting scope with my buddy or get even better 10x42’s, use the current tripod and split rent of the scope. I can’t hand hold 12x Bino’s, if you can, fine to go that way. But my #1 is the best Bino’s I can get and use off a tripod.

I‘d also have to save some of my $ for a decent Bino tripod adaptor. Vortex offers a few, but I prefer the Field Optics Research version. Affordable and works well. The newest Vortex option I have not used, it is stud based, so may be right there with the FOR. I prefer systems that attach a small stud to the bino. Outdoorsman is more $ iirc, but very good.

Looking for 140 class bucks I bet your Bino’s off a tripod will do most of what you need. If you are buying new, contact Doug above, he won’t steer you wrong. My two cents anyway.

OP
U

UCFJed

FNG
Good binos hands down. I dod my first high country hunt last year and had 11x’s 18x’s and a vortex razor 85 mm. I ended up hiding the spotter in some rocks and used just the binos. Although i ised the 18’s a lot i would of been ok woth the 11’s now.
That all being said ot opened my eyes to optics even more and i sold the binos and spotter to buy swaro nl pures woth no regrets.

Edit: also by skipping the spotter the tripod wont seem so bad. Not sure if 2.6 lbs is a lot or not even though. But itll work just fine.

Would you do one person with high quality 18s and another with mid quality 11x or 12s?

I use bino's considerably more than a spotter. I have however found bucks with the spotter that I would not have with bins alone. I would have one guy run a good pair of 10's and the other rent at minimum the 65 razor. As far as tripods if yours functions I would just use it this time. Figure out a way to split the weight if needed

Thats an intresting idea that could work pretty slick but just remeber the bug binos are more of a single use ( long range glassing) where good binos are all around great for every type of hunting if that makes sense

Based on what you are looking for, I’d do the following.

Get a pair of vortex diamondback 10x42’s for everyday use and for general glassing.

Get either a vortex razor 65 refurbished/used OR an athlon ares 65

Get a vortex summit ss-p used on here

That would get you started and you can move around from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nobody

WKR
Really good binos and a solid tripod. Here's what I would do:

• Maven C.3 12x50, $500
  • Sirui T-1204SK Tripod with a VA-5 Head, $300

Or something similar. A 12x50 will give you plenty of magnification to use from a tripod and field judge bucks, but is still hand-holdable for most people. Then save up and buy a good spotting scope next year. Both of the above options receive rave reviews from owners and they've both got a spot in your arsenal for years to come. Plus you've got a couple hundred bucks left over from your $1k budget for a good bino harness and another tag. You're welcome.

***EDIT TO ADD*** You can see a long freaking ways with a good pair of 10's or 12's from a steady tripod. I was able to judge my buddy's buck this last fall at about 1400 yards with my 10's on a tripod. The only thing the spotting scope did was tell me he had a 2" cheater on his right side on the inside of the back fork. Other than that, I knew he was a 24" wide, 150" 4 point with eye guards. You don't NEED a spotting scope. They're nice, but not necessary.

Last edited:
Get quality binos. You can cheap out on a spotter and still be able to tell if it’s a decent buck or not.

I’d do conquest hd 10x42, maven b series, or similar (used)

Get the cheap kowa 50mm scope or an older fixed leupold.

Use the tripod you already have.

That might put you a tad over budget but you do not want to skimp on binos…and I’d rather have a cheap light spotter than nothing.

svivian

WKR
I would spend the entire budget on binos personally and find a buddy to borrow a spotter. You will spot more animals with the binos. Spotter is just to judge and compare. Worst case you might have to use your legs to close the distance a bit to get a better look with the binos.

OP
U

UCFJed

FNG
I would spend the entire budget on binos personally and find a buddy to borrow a spotter. You will spot more animals with the binos. Spotter is just to judge and compare. Worst case you might have to use your legs to close the distance a bit to get a better look with the binos.
For my buddy that has no gear, would you have him just run a spotter and no binos?

nobody

WKR
For my buddy that has no gear, would you have him just run a spotter and no binos?
I'll bite on this. NO. Get him into something solid and inexpensive, like a Vortex Diamondback and a Vortex High Country aluminum tripod. He'll be less than $400 total into the whole setup and it'll be so much nicer than glassing one eyed through a spotting scope. You need binos, you don't need a spotter.

svivian

WKR
You didnt say but if you are rifle hunting but if you are i would imagine you have a decent scope? I would say if you found something interesting in the binos you could always use the rifle scope if you have decent magnification on it

For your buddy thats renting he could just run the spotting scope i suppose. But his eyes will be exhausted and he wont be glassing as much as if he had binos as well

For reference i live in Colorado and hunt mule deer pretty much every year.... i would say my spotting scope gets used less than 10% of that time. Also a 140 class buck is so common you would not need a spotting scope at all to determine a "shooter"

If you were hunting a 175" plus in an area with several in that size then yes you bet ill have my swaro spotting scope up trying to figure out which one i want.

Edit: i retract the rifle scope comment as that is poor advice

Last edited:
OP, do you already have a pair of binoculars or are you starting from scratch?

If starting from scratch, then dump your entire budget on a pair of 10x. Its a great all around magnification that can be used on a variety of hunts.

If you already have a pair of 8x or 10x, then use this opportunity to start building out your optics arsenal. Look at 12x/15x/18x. If you have to bump up your budget a bit then do so. You'll be happier in the field and will be lower cost over the long haul.

Have your friend step up and commit some cash. Renting is nice if infrequent (ex: sheep hunt for us mortals). Have him pick up either the Maven CS.1 15-45 or Athlon G2 UHD 65mm spotting scope. He'll also need a tripod and head which Doug should also be able to help out on.

I'd talk with Doug, with your friend on the line, and see about working out a deal for everything. Doug and crew are great guys.

Last edited:
OP
U

UCFJed

FNG
You didnt say but if you are rifle hunting but if you are i would imagine you have a decent scope? I would say if you found something interesting in the binos you could always use the rifle scope if you have decent magnification on it

For your buddy thats renting he could just run the spotting scope i suppose. But his eyes will be exhausted and he wont be glassing as much as if he had binos as well

For reference i live in Colorado and hunt mule deer pretty much every year.... i would say my spotting scope gets used less than 10% of that time. Also a 140 class buck is so common you would not need a spotting scope at all to determine a "shooter"

If you were hunting a 175" plus in an area with several in that size then yes you bet ill have my swaro spotting scope up trying to figure out which one i want.
Envious of living in CO! Super useful info. I have a Nikon Monarch 5 4-16x50 on my rifle so that does give a bit further zoom if needed. GoHunt gives the area I'm looking at a 140-160" with a trophy of 160", so not expecting to be looking at multiple 4x4s and letting them walk.

OP
U

UCFJed

FNG
OP, do you already have a pair of binoculars or are you starting from scratch?

If starting from scratch, then dump your entire budget on a pair of 10x. Its a great all around magnification that can be used on a variety of hunts.

If you already have a pair of 8x or 10x, then use this opportunity to start building out your optics arsenal. Look at 12x/15x/18x. If you have to bump up your budget a bit then do so. You'll be happier in the field and will be lower cost over the long haul.

Have your friend step up and commit some cash. Renting is nice if infrequent (ex: sheep hunt for us mortals). Have him pick up either the Maven CS.1 15-45 or Athlon G2 UHD 65mm spotting scope (plus tripod and head). He'll also need a tripod and head which Doug should also be able to help out on.

I'd talk with Doug, with your friend on the line, and see about working out a deal for everything. Doug and crew are great guys.
Cheap compact pair, where I hunt in Virginia (thick woods) my typical max range is 150 yards, frequently shorter. I was able to help get my buddy his first deer and buck last season using a spare gun of mine, but he is buying everything from scratch (rifle, backpacking gear, etc.). I've budgeted about $250 for optics for him and wouldn't want to further burden him when I'm the main driver of this trip. Doug will absolutely get my business if I decide to go with new vs used.

I would look for the best bino's you can buy on the classifieds. 10X is a good do all magnification range.

You might be able to find something like SLC's for your budget. There is zero way I would use junk bino's and a junk spotter.

You have a tripod already. Figure out how to attach whatever bino's you end up getting to it and go kill a buck.