CO High country success

OP
Rossblank21
Finally got some time to write up the story! season obviously started on Wednesday but my cousin and I packed in on Sunday to give us some time to get some eyes on Buck’s since it’s a new area to both of us.
Monday didn’t see any horns, some does and elk but nothing we were after.
Tuesday we rode the horses up into a basin that I felt like we couldn’t see much of from our glassing point. I wanted to know how much we were missing and how the land laid. Well when we got up there we were piddling around by the horses, we jumped up 2 studs...they held tight a couple hundred yards below us.
didn’t think they’d ever come back to that same area.
Tuesday evening we got eyes on a nice buck close to that basin. But didn’t know where he came from. So Wednesday we got a little closer look at the area and that evening,he came out again and we found out exactly where he was bedding. An acre patch of woods, surrounded by gorges with only 2 ways in.
Thursday, I set up on him to come out that evening to feed. He never came out. The night before, I saw a coyote way below him but heading his way so I don’t know if the coyote ran him out, he coulda caught my wind when I made my way in there, or he just didn’t bed there that night.
Friday, last day...kinda lost on what to do because we didn’t have any other bucks glassed up.
we rode the horses half way up to the basin we jumped the bucks on Tuesday.
did some glassing, nothing. we were just about to head lower and see what was down there and bam. Spotted a doe right around where we jumped those bucks on Tuesday. Looked right below her and those 2 studs were feeding 20 yards from her.
couldn’t believe our eyes. Couldn’t believe they were back. But we knew they weren’t leaving our sight this time. We watched them for almost an hour and a half. Ended up losing them into the woods where they bedded. Came up with a plan to come in from above...and wow did it work. Stalked within 40 yards of the 4x4, couldn’t find the other buck but I knew he was a little lower than this guy. Waited for him to stand up, which I could see thru the small patch of willows I was behind. He stood up, quartered away and I let er fly.
last day success that we were both not expecting at all!
Thank you everyone btw, this is my first archery mule deer, I’ve shot 2 other Mulies with a rifle but I’ve always wanted the challenge of archery. And I thought I was addicted before, now it’s even worse! The right home I was already thinking about next years hunt.
thanks again everyone!

Attachments

• A2C78970-9D10-4C64-8A23-D41284F3318B.jpeg
    A2C78970-9D10-4C64-8A23-D41284F3318B.jpeg
    510.1 KB · Views: 137
Very nice buck. Horses are more work but the pros definitely outweigh the cons especially for a high country hunt. Congratulations

OP
Rossblank21
Thanks again everyone! A hunt and deer of a lifetime and can’t wait to get back out again!

cjdewese

WKR
Awesome buck man. Congrats on the patience and the execution when it matters. Job well done!