CO leftover deer tags.

I’m planning on getting to Colorado around 8/31 to be in place for the archery opener. I’m going to hunt for 7 days, fly home for 10, then hunt the rest of September. I’ll have an otc elk and bear tag but I’m thinking I might spend the first leg focusing on deer, that is if I can get a tag. Will there be any left? Will I be able to get one in an otc elk unit that I want to hunt? How will the Covid weigh on availability. Are there thousands like me that will be sitting at the computer the day they go on sale? All this is to be determined by trial but I figured someone that may be more versed in the process may be willing to share some insight. Ideally, I’d end up with a deer tag in a unit that I have experience in such as 521,52,421,53,16,14 etc, so that while spending the first week up high watching deer I can keep my ears/eyes open for bugles below to help prepare for the elk leg of the trip. And if I happened to luck into a deer while chasing elk....

Look at the second draw leftover list. There's not much there. Second draw doesn't close until the 7th, you can still apply there.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Jbehredt

WKR
Yeah, with the new setup do the secondary draw I don’t think there will be much to get excited about in the final leftover list. I think that was the goal. Reducing that circus.

marktole

WKR
Also think a lot more people applied for CO deer hunts this year, for a couple reasons.

One, cause everyone was at home with quarantine restrictions and had time to plan a hunt.

Two, because of the season date changes coming next year in CO.

Many, many tags that were a second choice draw at 100% (based on previous year's data) this year drew out at second choice with 30% odds or less it seemed like.

This has made the secondary draw list quite dismal, and the leftover list after the secondary draw will be even worse I'm sure.

street

WKR
They haven't updated the leftover list since it was posted, as far as I can tell. So not sure if turn back tags are going to be added to that or not before the 2nd draw. I'm not getting my hopes up for anything good to pop up.

No tags turned back in will be available for the secondary draw. The original list they posted is all that will be available. Nothing added.

Returned tags will be available in August after the secondary draw is over

No tags turned back in will be available for the secondary draw. The original list they posted is all that will be available. Nothing added.

I kept thinking returned tags were going to be in the secondary draw, everything I read in the regs seems to say it's only leftovers. So still have an early August circus to look forward to.

street

WKR

That seems to be the structure. Otherwise I'm sure they would have added the licenses from the primary that weren't paid for on pay deadline.

ericF

WKR
I kept thinking returned tags were going to be in the secondary draw, everything I read in the regs seems to say it's only leftovers. So still have an early August circus to look forward to.

It will be different next year. They said they couldn't move the pay date and the generation of the leftover draw this year so all the unpaid tags wouldn't be on the list. Next year they are changing dates around so that all unpaid tags will make it onto the leftover draw so they don't get hammered on leftover day. They talked about it in the the commission meeting a while back.

It will be different next year. They said they couldn't move the pay date and the generation of the leftover draw this year so all the unpaid tags wouldn't be on the list. Next year they are changing dates around so that all unpaid tags will make it onto the leftover draw so they don't get hammered on leftover day. They talked about it in the the commission meeting a while back.

Good to know.

OP
Jahvette20
At this point, I do t even see anything worth applying for that fits my objective. Am I understanding correctly that it’s too late to obtain a preference point? I know I can’t put that as my first choice in the second draw but if I say choose a unit and don’t draw will I gain a point?

Fatcamp

WKR
At this point, I do t even see anything worth applying for that fits my objective. Am I understanding correctly that it’s too late to obtain a preference point? I know I can’t put that as my first choice in the second draw but if I say choose a unit and don’t draw will I gain a point?

If there was a way to still gain a CO point I would want to know that

rob86jeep

WKR
The secondary draw in CO isn't going to be very sought after. It will only have the tags that didn't draw during the primary draw (meaning the ones not many people want). The left over list will still have all the undrawn tags (leftover from the primary through secondary draw), but also have the returned/not payed for sought after tags that people want. This change didn't really mean much for the CO strategy that people have. You either put in for a good tag in the primary, or try to get lucky in the leftover. Secondary draw just kind of exists in the middle...

I’m planning on getting to Colorado around 8/31 to be in place for the archery opener. I’m going to hunt for 7 days, fly home for 10, then hunt the rest of September. I’ll have an otc elk and bear tag but I’m thinking I might spend the first leg focusing on deer, that is if I can get a tag. Will there be any left? Will I be able to get one in an otc elk unit that I want to hunt? How will the Covid weigh on availability. Are there thousands like me that will be sitting at the computer the day they go on sale? All this is to be determined by trial but I figured someone that may be more versed in the process may be willing to share some insight. Ideally, I’d end up with a deer tag in a unit that I have experience in such as 521,52,421,53,16,14 etc, so that while spending the first week up high watching deer I can keep my ears/eyes open for bugles below to help prepare for the elk leg of the trip. And if I happened to luck into a deer while chasing elk....
the overall applications in the primary Draw increased 5-9% depending on the species.
judging by the amount of tourists here in SW colorado right now, I think we are going to be more crowded than ever during this fall. I also have owners of outfits calling me and I’m guiding for the first 3 rifle seasons And 1/2 of archery. That was very unexpected. What I’m saying is that Covid isn’t slowing anything Down around here. Folks are restless.

With apps like leftover watch, the leftover list is going to be destroyed pretty quickly this year. That doesn’t mean You don’t have a chance at a Unit you want. It’s just going to be way more difficult.

cnelk

WKR
Dont confuse the terminology

Leftovers = remaining tags from the Primary Draw
Reissues = tags that have been turned back in

Two completely different tags