CO Mule deer training for a flatlander

I live at sea level, am very fit, and suffer horribly from altitude sickness. If you really are going that high, you have some choices. Definitely get some Diamox and take as directed. Next, acclimate for a night in Denver (sleeping at night is what acclimates you). Camp at less than 8000 feet the first day, less than 10000 the second day. You should be good to go by then. If you do get sick you MUST get below 4000 feet as quickly/safely as possible. It is recommended you see a doctor. I never did, but definitely was in bad shape at altitude and felt almost instantly better when I went down the mountain. I think those at highest risk are people who "tough it out". They end up with swelling in the brain in the middle of the night (trying to sleep) and need medical care ASAP.

You can hike as high as you like and stay as long as you don't get symptoms. So no problem hunting as long as you have no symptoms or very mild symptoms. But you will likely need to sleep at lower altitudes the first two nights or get so sick the hunt will be over. Sleeping at lower altitude is the key. Of course it varies by person, with no clear deciding factor other than living at lower altitude equals higher risk of getting sick.

Teaman1

WKR
My dad is in his mid 50’s and surprises me every year. He’s 6’3” and about 290. All he does is a bunch of incline treadmill walking and some light weight lifting. Each year, he makes me feel like the incline treadmill is a big benefit for mountain hunting.
We are flatlanders from eastern South Dakota
Also, after last season, I feel that weighted walking lunges really help with going up steep hills

I have been using the Mt tough program and its a butt kicker but should help. there have been years where I did too much cardio and not enough leg work then years did too much legs not enough cardio this program seems to be a great combo

fatrascal

WKR
I'm from Jacksonville Florida and at 30 years old I moved to Nevada. I'm now 56 and I love the high mountain hunting. I've been fortunate to never have altitude sickness but I've had two friends from low country who have. The first was from Vegas and as soon as we hiked to 10,000 feet he started having trouble. We moved down to 8,000 and he immediatly felt better. We went back to 6,000 feet and he was perfectly fine. He ran 8 miles a day in Vegas and was a high school quarterback. It can effect anybody at any time in their life.
The second guy is my Brother-n-law who lives in Jacksonville. He's been out here several times and has had big trouble with elevation sickness every time except last year when he came out in 2018. What did he do different? He got on the internet and researched elevation sickness and found that the daimox helped many people. What he also found was that some of the elevation sickness medicine was nothing more than Ibuprofin with some changes. Some people can use Ibuprofin and avoid the sickness. So he started taking Ibuprofin a day or two before he came to Nevada and we hiked to over 10,000 feet for several days and he had no problems. Now I'm not telling you to substitute Ibuprofin for whatever the doctor prescribes. I would definitely take his prescription. But it can be avoided for at least some people. As stated above, know the symptoms and know what to do if you get it. First get to lower elevation immediatly. Elevation sickness is very serious and you can die from it so do not shrug it off.
A couple of other tips. Get quality clothing. NO COTTON. People out west have a saying...cotton kills. Cotton clothing holds moisture and will not dry. Hunting clothing is expensive but worth it. I've learned this the hard way.
Next-No cotton socks. You need wool or wool blend. If you wear anything else you will have blisters the size of your whole foot. Again, I've learned this the hard way and its terrible.
Your friends probably can out hike you because they are used to this kind of hunting. If you try to keep up you spend the whole time trying to catch your breath. Thats no fun and hunting is supposed to be fun. Let them go ahead on the trail and tell them to stop when they want a break and wait for you. Let them point out where they are going and you take your time and take breaks.
You start out hiking in the morning and your cold and you have your jacket on. As soon as you feel some warmth from walking stop and take off your pack and take off your jacket. Don't be lazy and let your self sweat. You can't stop all sweating but stop as much as you can.
Hope these tips are helpful. If you have any questions feel free to PM me or if you like send me your number and I'll call you. Fatrascal, Drew Edwards.

Everyone will have different opinions. What worked for me was to focus on my legs and forget the cardio. You can always slow down and catch your breath, but once your legs are shot you will not be able to get them back. Don't underestimate the pounding your body will take and the lack of recovery time you will have.

Forgot to mention that we travel from NC to hunt out west. When we hunt in CO we will often try to spend the night at 6,000-7,000 feet before going to 11,000-12,000. This has helped prevent the altitude sickness.

HUNTNUT

FNG
Seriously, get a prescription for Diamox and take it as prescribed. DO NOT risk ruining your trip because somebody else told you they did not have any problems. Everybody is different and each trip is different. Speaking from experience ( at least 7 trips ) traveling from central Texas to 11,500 in 24 hrs can be brutal. If you do not have the time to acclimate properly, take the med.

Blueridge

FNG
I’m from Va hunted Montana last year worked my ass off at the gym on the treaddmill running ect should have spent more time on the stair climber. Going back this fall my time is spentnow at the gym on the stair climber leg and calf workout 5 days a week and trying to get a hike in when possible. Not hunting that high so elevation isn’t a concern for me. Good luck though

Sleeperls

Lil-Rokslider
Blue ridge thats my life atm. 30 min incline treadmill usually 11 or 12 at 3 mph for 30 to 40 min then 15 min stair climber. Gets the old heart going

Blueridge

FNG
Blue ridge thats my life atm. 30 min incline treadmill usually 11 or 12 at 3 mph for 30 to 40 min then 15 min stair climber. Gets the old heart going

If your climbing a lot spend as more time on that stair climber than treadmill. I found my cardio pumped harder than the treadmill could get out of me. Just my 2c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
Good to see you on here - decent place. Friendly folks and good advice.

I had planned to start my hunt training 2 weeks ago, timing it with the Whole 30 Diet and the day after a vacation with the wife. Ended up with gout in the feet and not being able to walk without pain. LOL! going on 2 weeks with it right now.

Decided to break out the bike and gonna do that until I can hit the swamps and scout a large WMA for hunting it in the future.

I've got 2 months and 30 pounds to go. Need to work up to walking 10 miles and glassing during the day. Hint - not climbing a mountain on my hunt...

Sleeperls

Lil-Rokslider
Go swiming if you can until your feet get better. I dont get gout but my feet suck too and so.etimes got to work around it

dtrkyman

WKR
I'm pretty fortunate, the altitude really doesn't bother me. I did need some immodium one trip:oops:

Carry a pack up some stairs! When you think your'e in good shape ramp it up a notch!

V-TRAIN

WKR
I am heading to Wyoming in 3 weeks for a high country hunt from NC, so i guess after reading this taking Jack Daniels is not a good idea. For night time, not during the day hunting. lol

OP
Tufrthnails
Hey guys another question. I seem to have found a plateau I can’t seem to get past. If I get over 40# for 4 miles the balls of my feet are killing me. I got a set of SOF sole inserts for my Crispis and that helped a lot last night. I did 46# for 4.05 miles but around mile 3 the ball on my left foot started to get sore. Now today it feels fine and maybe the insert is helping. Before I got the inserts it was seriously painful for a couple of days. Is there anything else you could suggest for me to try. I really want to get to where I can do 60# for 5 miles a couple times a week before I go.

Tall building stairwells and elevator down if possible. I keep my weight to around 50 lbs. I have a short but steep hill i hike a lot. I have been biking a lot this summer and not much hiking so will see how it goes. Different deal for me this year as I had three major bike events to train for. I guess I'll see how that training translates. We have always hunted around Leadville and I have not had an issue with altitude sickness yet, but they do say that doesn't necessarily mean you won't. I think we topped out at about 12500 last year with not too many ill effects, other than shortness of breath. Just take your time and save the sprints for when you are in the heat of the action.

Use your glass as much as possible and save the hiking till you have to.

Hydrate a lot. I try and take some ibuprofen ahead of time. Supposedly Ginko Biloba will help. I have tried it but in another supplement.

OP
Tufrthnails
Tall building stairwells and elevator down if possible. I keep my weight to around 50 lbs. I have a short but steep hill i hike a lot. I have been biking a lot this summer and not much hiking so will see how it goes. Different deal for me this year as I had three major bike events to train for. I guess I'll see how that training translates. We have always hunted around Leadville and I have not had an issue with altitude sickness yet, but they do say that doesn't necessarily mean you won't. I think we topped out at about 12500 last year with not too many ill effects, other than shortness of breath. Just take your time and save the sprints for when you are in the heat of the action.

Use your glass as much as possible and save the hiking till you have to.

Hydrate a lot. I try and take some ibuprofen ahead of time. Supposedly Ginko Biloba will help. I have tried it but in another supplement.
Thanks I’m mixing stairs in my routine 3 times a week but at half of whatever weight I am hiking with that week. I got an RX from the doc for Daimox to help with the altitude. He suggested a custom orthodic, but it’s nearly the price I paid for my Crispis. He said there isn’t a ton I can do more then continue to condition my feet at a weight that doesn’t break them for days but does stress them slightly. I can say my regular Florida hunting season is gonna be at a different level after all this training if I don’t break myself in CO.

The last thing you need to do is injure yourself before you leave for your trip. Listen to your body. It's trying to tell you something. Remember, you gotta kill something before you have to worry about hauling meat.

Lowg08

WKR
Traintohunt.com
That is what you do. I do have access to mountains but not 10000’ elevation so I’m just getting into it so we’ll see how it goes