CO Muzzy Range Test

alfagan88

FNG
Had a chance to get the muzzy out this weekend to start some initial load testing for an upcoming CO muzzy mule deer hunt.

Backstory: Being from the east, I've always used T7 pellets, sabots, and a scope. Obviously have to switch it all up for CO.

Equipment: Older TC Encore .50 topped with Leupold VX Freedom 3-9 (only for testing), BH209 120gr by volume (84gr by weight), CCI 209 Mag primers, Federal BOR Lock 270 gr coppers / Thor 250 gr ballistic tips (.503 sized).

Shot both bullets at 100 yards (lower target), then 150 yards (upper target).

Results: Federal BOR Locks held ~5" groups at both 100 and 150. Thors were 1.5" at 100, and 4.5" at 150.

So far the Thors are looking good, but would like to play with different loads of BH209 to see if groups would improve. Anyone else been through this or have suggestions?
ML1.jpgML2.jpgML3.jpg

OP
A

alfagan88

FNG
I should note that I swabbed (wet patch and 2 dry patches) between each shot.

Your results sound promising. Please update the thread as you progress. Good luck!

I’m planning for a CO muzzleloader elk and starting down this road myself. I was going to use my Encore ML but decided to use my old faithful Knight DISC rifle. My plan is to use BH209 and either THOR or NO EXCUSES bullets.

I'm starting down this road as well with a older encore. I just got a pack of the Federals BORS and Black horn powder. I just need some time to get to the range.

I should note that I swabbed (wet patch and 2 dry patches) between each shot.
When you say wet patch. Remember blackhorn 209 dont need cleaning like 777. I just pull at boresnake through my tc. Sorry can’t help you with a CO load. I’m surprised the federal load was all over on ya.

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
Don't wet patch between shots. Water will gum up bh209. Try not wet patching between shots. Try 115 and 110 of BH209 for smaller group.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I shoot 70 gr by weight out of my TC Bone Collector with 290 gr Barnes TEZ and get tight groups with muzzle velocity of 1845 fps.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I shoot a measured 84 grains of BH209 powder out of my muzzleloader with thor bullets.

It shoots them great but it kicks like hell....

tdhanses

WKR
Don’t touch the barrel until it’s hard to load, you should be able to shoot 50 rds without cleaning.

Also when you say wet patch I hope you mean gun solvent and not a water or water based product.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I would really verify that those Bor Loks are tight in your barrel, since you're using .503" Thors. A few years ago my daughter and I tried to like the Bor Loks but they slid up and down the barrel after seating them, and that's a barrel that uses the .500" Thors. The last thing I'd want on a hunt would be a bullet that slid in the barrel before pulling the trigger.

tdhanses

WKR
I would really verify that those Bor Loks are tight in your barrel, since you're using .503" Thors. A few years ago my daughter and I tried to like the Bor Loks but they slid up and down the barrel after seating them, and that's a barrel that uses the .500" Thors. The last thing I'd want on a hunt would be a bullet that slid in the barrel before pulling the trigger.
I wonder if you didn’t get a defective batch, I haven’t experienced this issue and used .501 thor prior to the federal’s.

OP
A

alfagan88

FNG
The wet patches had a light amount of Hoppes 9 on them, not a water based solvent. The idea was to mimic a "clean" barrel. I've always gone out to the field with a clean barrel and never had issues. Just got more Thors in the mail today. Maybe I'll try not swabbing between shots.

Hoping to test other volumes/weights of BH209 this weekend.

The wet patches had a light amount of Hoppes 9 on them, not a water based solvent. The idea was to mimic a "clean" barrel. I've always gone out to the field with a clean barrel and never had issues. Just got more Thors in the mail today. Maybe I'll try not swabbing between shots.

Hoping to test other volumes/weights of BH209 this weekend.
This probably goes against everything you know about M/L shooting, but I find it best and easiest with BH209 to sight in and hunt on a "dirty" bore. Meaning I start with a clean bore at the range. I shoot a few times, and by my 3rd shot I'm back to my original zero. I then continue to shoot and practice without any cleaning or swabbing between shots.

I have shot 14 times in a row without swabbing and never noticed the bullet harder to seat or an impact shift.

I will then leave the bore "dirty" for up to 2 weeks and hunt with it as needed.

After 2 weeks I clean and then fire 3 more shots to dirty the bore again if I continue nto use it to hunt.

I do clean out the primer flash hole with an appropriate size drill bit to remove the carbon build up every few shots.

BH209 is not nearly as corrosive or dirty as other black powder substitutes. You can go a long time without cleaning.

tdhanses

WKR
This probably goes against everything you know about M/L shooting, but I find it best and easiest with BH209 to sight in and hunt on a "dirty" bore. Meaning I start with a clean bore at the range. I shoot a few times, and by my 3rd shot I'm back to my original zero. I then continue to shoot and practice without any cleaning or swabbing between shots.

I have shot 14 times in a row without swabbing and never noticed the bullet harder to seat or an impact shift.

I will then leave the bore "dirty" for up to 2 weeks and hunt with it as needed.

After 2 weeks I clean and then fire 3 more shots to dirty the bore again if I continue nto use it to hunt.

I do clean out the primer flash hole with an appropriate size drill bit to remove the carbon build up every few shots.

BH209 is not nearly as corrosive or dirty as other black powder substitutes. You can go a long time without cleaning.
I do the same, always leave my barrel dirty during the season.

Goose10

FNG
Try backing off the powder a little on the Federals. We shoot the 350 gr Bor Lock all lead bullets with 80 gr by volume of BH 209 and still get 1600 fps. Increasing the charge to 90 and 100 by weight hurt the groups and did not significantly increase the velocity.