CO Muzzy Strategy for MD

Heading to CO GMU 5, 4, & 441 for muzzy mule deer this fall. I've been archery hunting elk the past several years in other units with decent success, but am new to MD. I keep reading to go high to timberline, but these units are at most 9-10.5k feet. Still start high and glass meadows/open areas, go low and try to catch them coming off ag land, or ?? We typically put on 8-10 miles/day elk hunting, so getting back away from folks is doable. Oh, and to put a wrench in it, my buddy is doing a muzzy elk hunt at the same time.

Any advise would be appreciated.

We combine our Elk and Deer hunting all the time. We don’t do any glassing or anything. Typically run into them while Elk hunting. All depends on the area though, I guess.

i too struggle with the 9 to 10K range early season. there are deer and elk there, i just have no idea how to hunt them when they could be anywhere! i prefer to hunt areas you can get above the treeline, at least you know where you are trying to look. very intimidating when it is aspen everywhere. good luck with this. they are there, you just stalk through it getting ready for a quick shot cuz they will be staring at you - ready to bolt!