CO OTC hunter numbers with unit change

Tjwjr89

FNG
Did anybody notice an increase in the hunter numbers in the remaining OTC units last year with the units added to the draw? I had previously been hunting unit 71 but took the last couple years off. Seems like I could still easily draw that unit still but I'd much prefer an either sex tag as I've not been successful on an elk yet. Have had opportunity just never capitalized on it yet. I've got a few units I'm looking into now but hunter numbers in 2019 were already high enough and I can only imagine what it might be like with a large influx of more hunters.

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
We hunted 71 and 711 the past 4 years. I'll say in 2nd and 3rd seasons, the number of hunters in both units, but especially western 71 and also 711, was daunting. This year, between my son and I, we hunted 2nd, third and 4th....we got away from the crowds in 2nd by going to some very steep places up high while it was very cold and snowing....apparently, no one wanted to be there on those days. That's where/when my son killed his cow.

For 3rd, we hunted bears, as my bull tag was for 4th. We hunted 711 mostly...hoping to catch them in the oak brush or coming for water, and also do some scouting for 4th. It was a hunter's zoo. At one pond we walked to, there were 5 different hunters around us. I did not enjoy that at all, seemed everywhere we went, other people had the same idea, everything was overrun, sometimes to the point of absurdity.

This is the first time I drew 4th. The number of hunters we saw in scouting was much lower. The place felt comparatively empty compared to what we had been seeing. We did see one hunter opening day, he was walking on some private we could see about a mile away. He almost blew out the elk we were watching, but he did not notice them, so we got lucky. I killed my bull that day, so not sure how low pressure was for sure, but it sure seemed like it was much better than what we got used to in the OTC seasons.

Overall, I do feel like there were more hunters than ever this year in the OTC seasons. It has always been really crowded, but it seemed worse than ever this year. Places we had hunted before were covered up and it was frustrating, felt like a waste of time many days. The only way we could get anywhere was to go to nasty places in nasty weather, or wait for draw only seasons. Just too many folks it seems in those units. We'd like to try a few other places, maybe other states. Were it not for good friends in that area, I think we might try and find new places where it's less crowded, but we really enjoy the opportunity to see our friends, so we don't want to move.

Last edited:
If you want a chance at a bull I would NOT recommend hunting in southwest colorado. If you can get a cow tag it would be decedent hunting, but they have slaughtered bulls to maintain their money intake. and cow tags are hard to come by.

Last edited:

ahatclif

FNG
I have hunted in the north-central Colorado area for the past 4 seasons. I don't know what hunter numbers looked like prior to that time but it has been significantly increased since my first year. I would say at least 50% more vehicles and people.