CO OTC tag vs WY no tag (and just tag along....)

BuckeyeRifleman

Well Known Rokslider
thanks for all the great responses, I talked to my son and his response was short and straight to the point "I want to hunt."...lol ... I kind of figured this would be his response. He is an intense hunter and he will be the one motivating me to keep pushing.
Nothing wrong with that!

Go, have fun, you will get out of it what you put into it. I haven’t done CO OTC but I suspect people still kill plenty of elk during those seasons.😉

johnross0619

First, you should decide what realistic success is for your season. CO can be very humbling as a new elk hunter. There are lots of elk there and first timer's get lucky every year, but there are a lot of people and pressure. If you are realistic and aim for gaining knowledge and experience, go to CO. Maybe start with one tag between you and your son. If you see elk, great. Try to get in close and if you punch a tag, it was worth it. if you can't kill one, but you can be in the area and observe them and hone your skills for next year that's valuable also. If your buddy in WY was a well-seasoned hunter that you could gain a lot of experience from, it may be different. Don't be discouraged if you don't fill a tag, 90% of tags go unfilled every year. Good Luck!