CO OTC vs MT B tag

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
I had been planning to go back to CO for an OTC hunt this year (first time last year). Learned a lot and like my chances to be around elk in the same area this year. That was my plan until my sister-in-law's boyfriend who is from MT said they opened up B tags for sale in the unit where they have family land. Am I crazy to pass on a fairly guaranteed, cheaper, private land hunt for another September in the OTC elk woods? Still have a fair amount of deer meat and wouldn't have trouble getting more this year. But have never had an elk in the freezer which would help me be picky in the whitetail woods.... Guess its a good predicament to be in.

bsnedeker

WKR
There is nothing crazy about wanting a freezer full of elk meat so you just have to figure out what type of hunt you are looking for. Good luck in whatever you choose!

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It might be worth hunting the Montana B tag just so you can get some experience interacting with elk! The experience could help improve your success for future OTC Colorado hunts!

hobbes

WKR
I'd confirm how much of a guarantee it is, but I'd lean towards shooting a cow in MT if you're looking for your first elk.

I had a similar scenario growing up where I went 4 or 5 times to the family friend's property where we were 100% on cows every time. It's nice being able to have guaranteed Elk meat and also having the luxury of hauling out Elk whole with ATV's or Snowmobiles. At some point I chose to quit going because it just wasn't the hunting experience I was after. If I were you though I would at least do it once, have fun with family, load up the freezer, and then return to OTC hunts next year.

I'm with most of the posts, go for the private land elk now learn and then head back to OTC. Don't go with the mind set of a guaranteed kill. I'd practice stalking and other hunting situations and maybe not bagging the first cow you see. My .02. Good luck with whatever, hunting is always fun.

Either way you're going elk hunting, but if you have the oppurtunity to hunt private ground, take it!

hobbes

WKR
I'll add........Having a buddy from MT with "family land" wouldn't be a bad thing. Besides the land, he could be a great hunting partner for future hunts anywhere. If the sister in law and the MT fella don't work out or even if they do, you may not get a second chance. A cow elk hunt with a good friend is a danged fun hunt. The cow tags may only be available a couple years. MT is constantly changing.

I'd still make sure that it's a large enough ranch that you aren't just sitting on a sliver hoping the elk cross through.