CO Plains 93,97,98,100

Jbenson

Lil-Rokslider
Hey fellas, I've always wanted to hunt muleys on the plains of eastern colorado. Is the unit including 93,97,98,100 even considered "plains"? Does anyone have any experiences hunting this area, or even just any knowledge of the area in general as far as terrain, etc? Just curious if the area has good deer or if I need to look elsewhere. I do have 6 PPs to use for the right unit, but I kinda wanted to burn those on a high country hunt. Please PM me if you have any tidbits of info you would be willing to share!

Thanks!
Josh

OP
Jbenson

Jbenson

Lil-Rokslider
Good to know. It appears pheasant season opens in November, so that would give me plenty of time to archery hunt before the pheasant hunting boys show up.

Clarkdale17

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't even think about using 6 preference points on those units if it were me. Your odds in the second draw are pretty slim for those units as well. As liv2hnt said access in those units is pretty slim as well. Much better options out there.

Good to know. It appears pheasant season opens in November, so that would give me plenty of time to archery hunt before the pheasant hunting boys show up.
You are missing the point, unless you have access to large tracts of land you will not have deer to hunt in those units. If you want to do a plains hunt, start looking at outfitters unless you have connections in eastern CO.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
Jbenson

Jbenson

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, that might answer part of my question. Is hunting with an outfitter really the only way to find a big muley on the plains? I know it's mostly private, but I was hoping a guy could find deer on some of the rougher-terrain walk-in tracts. I'm not an outfitter kinda guy, so if that's the only viable option, then I'll scratch the idea. I'll burn my points and head to the high country, DIY.

def90

WKR
Yeah, Eastern Colorado is tough, a lot of private land. There are some units and tags along the Arkansas river that have some public land as well as a couple units that include the Comanche National Grasslands. There are whitetail tags along the Arkansas as well. I would imagine that the public land that is available is pretty crowded. If you look at the units in the tag you are asking about notice how unit 96 is not included, that is the unit that is going to have the public access. Pawnee Grasslands may be a place to look, I’ve never seen any mulies out there but I’ve never really looked for them, there are a number of arroyos in Pawnee which is where I would look for them. There is some state trust land in the units you are asking about, you would have to look up those areas to see if they are open for hunting but once again focus on the arroyos in those areas, anything with any kind of cover,