CO Refund or Roll the Dice

ckswall

FNG
For those of you whose limited draw tag is affected by the CO fires, are you getting your refund or rolling the dice that you will have some ground available to hunt? We weren't planning on heading out there until the last week of September. Trying to decide if there will be enough ground open to try and find some elk. I'm specifically looking at the Cameron Peak Fire Closure Area.

cnelk

WKR
I know a guy with a moose tag and he’s going to get a voucher for next year.

No way will more ground be opened up in a month. Probably less.

In the past where’s there has been fires, the areas stay closed for a long time after the fire has been put out.

It will be lucky if Hwy 14 is open in a month.

TomJoad

WKR
My unit isn't affected... at the moment. That being said if it was I'd being looking at the opportunity involving a higher concentration of animals in a smaller area as well as the possibility of hunters taking a refund based on the unknowns. I'd start re-e-scouting hard to get a bead on where the animals are likely moving based on the current burn area and trajectory and let that inform a new hunt plan. Road closures as mentioned by cnelk could be a game changer for access however.

woods89

WKR
As someone who has had that tag in the past, but doesn't this year, no question I would turn it in as a nonresident. I think Cnelk has it about right. I might hang on to it if I were a resident, but that's a lot less cost. CPW is offering a pretty square deal in my opinion.

The issue isn't necessarily the fire itself but the closure of forest access as a whole. The fire itself isn't really that big, at least not now. It could keep growing though.

Beendare

WKR
I know a guy with a moose tag and he’s going to get a voucher for next year.

No way will more ground be opened up in a month. Probably less.

In the past where’s there has been fires, the areas stay closed for a long time after the fire has been put out.

It will be lucky if Hwy 14 is open in a month.

Cow Moose tag here in unit 7.....So they will give a non res a voucher? I called and talked to the DOW yesterday and they couldn't answer that question.....

cnelk

WKR
Beendare

The CPW called the guy and was offered a voucher or refund - he has a bull tag.

You could run the odds to see if you could draw it again next year with the refund + PPs or call again and ask a different person.

brsnow

WKR
I was under the impression you get a refund and points restored, but would be back in the draw.

Beendare

WKR
Beendare

The CPW called the guy and was offered a voucher or refund - he has a bull tag.

You could run the odds to see if you could draw it again next year with the refund + PPs or call again and ask a different person.
Thanks....

I'm going to check again on Friday and get to the bottom of it. I'm leaving for NM and will be in the woods through the dates I need to turn the tag back in...so it makes it tricky. I was talking to 5 miles, and I suppose I could drive the tag to Co F&G and lose a day of elk hunting -sheesh- just hoping for a better solution.

OP
ckswall

ckswall

FNG
My tag is also good for units 19 and 191 which are outside the closure area. Is anyone familiar with the access to the wilderness areas in these units. Should those roads remain open?

HiMtnHntr

WKR
19 is heavily affected by the fire. The closure is a massive area and shuts down lots of elk country. 191 is largely open but doesn't not contain as much country.

cnelk

WKR
My tag is also good for units 19 and 191 which are outside the closure area. Is anyone familiar with the access to the wilderness areas in these units. Should those roads remain open?

There is definitely closures in 19 - See Closure Map Link below
There isnt any designated wilderness in 191.
Access to 191 will probably only be from the lower end - i.e. Cherokee Park or Wyoming

OP
ckswall

ckswall

FNG
There is definitely closures in 19 - See Closure Map Link below
There isnt any designated wilderness in 191.
Access to 191 will probably only be from the lower end - i.e. Cherokee Park or Wyoming

Thanks so much for the info. Yes I should have been more specific. I know 19 is affected but I see there are still some areas in that unit that haven't been closed off yet. You're right, one of the sections I had been e-scouting is marked as Wilderness but is inside the Unit 19 boundary.

OP
ckswall

ckswall

FNG
The issue isn't necessarily the fire itself but the closure of forest access as a whole. The fire itself isn't really that big, at least not now. It could keep growing though.

This was my biggest question. Most of my e-scouting was done in areas away from the fire itself but just inside the closure boundary. I wasn't sure if there was still any chance of areas being opened up in a month.

KHNC

WKR
It that some of the same area that burned in 2018 as well? Near the wyoming border?

OP
ckswall

ckswall

FNG
Also, just wanted to say Thank You to everyone for all the advice. This being my 2nd season elk hunting and my first time drawing a tag I am really torn on what to try and do. I'd love to take advantage of the opportunity at some concentrated elk herds with limited competition but have never had to deal with planning around wildfires. The wealth of knowledge you all are willing to share is greatly appreciated!