CO Rules for mule deer hunting

Unreal_TK

FNG
Does anyone have any dos or don’ts when it comes to Colorado ? Coming from Oregon. I feel like I’m pretty versed in the outdoor world. But with the draw deadline coming up I’m giving it serious thought. I have one preference point and looking into 3rd season.

What kind of do and don't are you talking about?

Like above, don't stay home. Do go hunting.

There are units you can draw as a second choice if you don't get drawn for your first choice. So if you are unsure you'll draw your first choice but want to hunt, put in a unit that you can draw second choice and then come hunt.

OP
U

Unreal_TK

FNG
I was meaning some unusual rules that aren’t always clear. For example in some states they require certain amount of Hunter orange while others do not(which is easy to find out but was an example) Or maybe something that you have done that you would’ve done differently or do differently than at first time. I will say I’ve always been a weekend warrior and never taken a full week to be committed to a hunt.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I was meaning some unusual rules that aren’t always clear. For example in some states they require certain amount of Hunter orange while others do not(which is easy to find out but was an example) Or maybe something that you have done that you would’ve done differently or do differently than at first time. I will say I’ve always been a weekend warrior and never taken a full week to be committed to a hunt.

I'll be heading to CO 3rd season. Plan on orange hat/beanie and vest. I think the hat needs to be solid orange all around. One thing to keep in mind is there are many units that have mandatory CWD testing be done at the nearest CPW office. More info in the regs on their website.

OP
U

Unreal_TK

FNG
I'll be heading to CO 3rd season. Plan on orange hat/beanie and vest. I think the hat needs to be solid orange all around. One thing to keep in mind is there are many units that have mandatory CWD testing be done at the nearest CPW office. More info in the regs on their website.

Thanks for the heads up on CWD. We do not have that here.

Rich M

WKR
I went last year and saw a couple bucks in 8 days of hunting. Just go and plan to hunt sun up to sundown til you get one.

Nothing like a trip to clear your lungs out.

How about DO read the regulations and DON'T just expect people on the internet to tell you what to do.

OP
U

Unreal_TK

FNG
How about DO read the regulations and DON'T just expect people on the internet to tell you what to do.
I already have went thru the book throughly online, however... there are always rules that people can miss. It may not be in the CPW Pamphlet. For instance some state land isn’t public access (which I have found where is and isn’t for the area I’m looking at). What I’m trying to get at is what can a guy overlook and not see in main sources of information.

You mentioned orange requirements which is in the regs. As far as land use it will be specific to the area so without knowing where you are going no one could say for sure.

One of the new rules that hasn't been printed in the regs yet - but should have been years ago - is that you have to be at least 6 ft away from other hunters.😁

Colorado can get pretty crowded during 3rd. . .

Try to find a unit that isn't also an OTC Elk unit, 1NR point will be more difficult to do that, but there are some.

OP
U

Unreal_TK

FNG
Chambers of long guns empty in the truck, evidence of sex ATTACHED on majority of carcass with carcass tag on that piece signed and dated.
Yes I noticed that. Horns/head aren’t considered proof unless attached to the carcass. Little details like that can get a fella. I do need to see if CO is a receprication of OR Concealed weapon permit. I bit the bullet and applied last night. You can’t kill something sitting at home!

OP
U

Unreal_TK

FNG
One of the new rules that hasn't been printed in the regs yet - but should have been years ago - is that you have to be at least 6 ft away from other hunters.😁

Colorado can get pretty crowded during 3rd. . .

Try to find a unit that isn't also an OTC Elk unit, 1NR point will be more difficult to do that, but there are some.

I believe the unit I picked has an OTC elk tag but the elk are migratory.

No shooting from or across a road
Guns or bows on ATVs must be cased
It’s a carcass tag, not an antler tag
Carry proof of hunters education
Harvest all edible meat
Evidence of sex must be naturally attached
Empty rifle before getting in the truck
Pay attention to shooting hours
Private property doesn’t need to be posted, so know where you are and where your prey is or can go before shooting.
Be certain of your target and what’s beyond it
Wear at least 500 square inches of blaze orange or fluorescent pink on your upper body, including a head covering visible from 360 degrees. Orange Camo doesn’t count.
Those are a few that I’ve seen people get in trouble for.