CO: Say goodbye to big bucks?

Looks like for the next 5 years the 2/3/4th rifle seasons will be about 5-7 days later. That means more rutting bucks will be killed.

Add that to the increase in buck tags and looks like CO has definitely drunk the cool-aid that believes reducing the big bucks in a herd can slow the spread of CWD.

We may be headed down a dark path

street

WKR
I imagine this will level out the PP requirements between seasons quite a bit.

IF...and that’s a huge IF, CO. has chosen the new season structure for deer, due to the obvious and clear, ever increasing spread and prevalence of CWD, what exactly makes you believe the new season structure, will not actually help with the obvious and clear, ever increasing spread and prevalence of CWD?

Especially with the past decade or two of research and culling and sharpshooting in states like IL and WI where it’s so plainly obvious what happens when one a state does basically nothing and the neighboring state is very proactive..

bigsky2

Lil-Rokslider
If tag allocations stay the same then the big mature bucks are in trouble with these later dates. It’s sad to see.

WKR
Consensus with those I know who are serious about big bucks, this is gonna hurt them.

Marble

WKR
I wasn't too happy with the later season because I like to go high elevation, in their summer range, and hunt them there. But the thought of hunting pre or during the rut sounds good. A lot of the bucks we kill in second season are already swollen in their necks and a little stinky.

vanish

WKR
They have increased the tag allocations Pacific Fork

These new regs are for 2020. They have not set tag allocations for 2020, only 2019.

The new CPW Commissioner already didn't like the number of 4th season tags given out. My money is on you'll see the number of 3rd season tags slashed, and 4th season may just about disappear in some units.

I'm a little behind on listening to the commissioners meeting, but in prior discussions this had absolutely nothing to do with CWD and everything to do with hunters #1 priority being longer breaks and not being worried about the weather. The only way to have longer breaks was to push the seasons back.

Considering the change to plains rifle to move it earlier into October so that it wasn't during the rut, I do not think hunters thought through that this would mean a reduction in tags.

Takem

WKR
I imagine this will level out the PP requirements between seasons quite a bit.
This is one of our concerns. We switched to second season to get away from the high PP's requirements for 3rd season in our area. We have the 2nd season tag this year and it took 2 PP's for the first time. I have a feeling that's going to change as your saying and this may be our last hunt in that zone.

OP
txhunter581
Vanish, I hope your are right, but regional managers were unhappy with the amount of tags that were allocated this year (increases in most areas in ALL seasons).

Don't think they are discussing the CWD issue openly at public meetings, but I have heard behind the scenes conversations about this issue and lowering mature buck numbers.

And if you are right, then get ready to pucker up for even more PP creep starting next year.

cnelk

WKR
And people referenced limiting elk tags like they do deer tags - and now whining about Point Creep on Deer tags.

Don't mean to stir the pot...but aren't you "welcoming" wolves now too?

The factors compund before you know it!

Let Parks and Wildlife know how you feel!

Takem

WKR
Jim Hefelfinger wrote a CWD article in an issue of The Mule Deer Foundation magazine. According to the article CWD spread significantly faster in areas with high buck to doe ratios.

Jim Hefelfinger wrote a CWD article in an issue of The Mule Deer Foundation magazine. According to the article CWD spread significantly faster in areas with high buck to doe ratios.
[/QUOTE
I'll pose my question again. If the season date changes were based solely on managing for CWD by reducing buck numbers, why make the changes Statewide to include areas with no detection? Screenshot_20190819-154413.png