CO September Mule Deer Hunt

Tupp

FNG
Hey! Texan here looking to plan a Mule Deer hunt with a few buddies come September and was looking for some advice on what unit to look into. Myself and a couple of the guys have a couple points, but are looking to hunt somewhere where we can all go and have a decent shot of filling a tag. Looking to go anytime in September for archery.

Any help/suggestions would be awesome.

Damn Texans lol I kid. If anybody tells you what GMU to put in for do the opposite. Even if they give you good advice it'll be overrun with ten thousand unit googlers who take it and run with it.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Most easy to draw sept units are easy for a reason… pick a unit and go for it. Most of the fun of hunting a new area for me at least is figuring it out on my own, not having strangers spoon feed me on the internet. Now if you want to talk terrain, gear, or tactics for deer in September since you don’t know I get it. The days of dishing units on open forums have gone the way of the dinosaurs or should have at least…

OP
Tupp

Tupp

FNG
Sorry, yea so we have a few units picked out and was more looking for a feel to see if they were common or junk units. The terrain in one of them seem to be basically full of canyons. We hunted GMU 77 last year for Elk and with the fire that was going on and all of the fallen beetle kill, it was nearly impossible to get anywhere without making noise.

Hnthrdr

WKR
My advice is pick a unit that appeals to you, either by draw odds, terrain, ect, make a plan A-H and then get after it. Beetle kill is a fact of life in almost any unit with lodgepole in Co these days, some are worse than others, it sucks but it’s there until it burns

Divide93

FNG
I always ran into the gnarliest timber bucks when I was bowhunting elk. One time , I was laying in a depression on a hillside, in the timber with a poncho liner over me, taking a nap! I heard this snort and stomp, scared the crap out of me, there was a big buck 10' away! Wish I had my go pro back then!

OP
Tupp

Tupp

FNG
See I saw a bunch of doe and a few smaller bucks while hunting elk last year.
The huge bucks I did see were way high

dyland

FNG
CPW puts out hunter data each year. Hunter traffic ebbs and flow (sometimes significantly) year by year but that data can at least help manage expectations.

Scoot

WKR
Pick a unit that matches the kind of country you want to spend time in and apply. If you draw (or maybe if you don't too), go there this summer and scout. Make a game plan, and go have a blast in September. Good luck!

bz_711

WKR
I would start by picking the country you want to hunt: high country/alpine, timber, roads, lower elevation, flats, etc...then look for units.
I've only elk hunted but I've seen whopper mule deer come from plenty of units, many that require 0-2 pts. CO has great mule deer...it will be a blast regardless.

Good Luck!