CO Spring Draw Turkey

TygerJ

FNG
Sitting on a pile of CO turkey points and want to cash in this spring. Would appreciate some advisement from others that have hunted the spring limited tags.

Cant decide between the river bottom rio tags vs perhaps a RFW tag.

Success data from prior year doesn’t suggest that the RFW tags are necessarily leaps and bounds more desirable. Upside would be much less other hunter pressure, I suppose.

Any thoughts? Happy to discuss over DM as well.

Thanks!

Jimss

WKR
If interested in the Eastern river bottom tags along the South Platte close to Sterling you might take a look at the walk in area regulations in those areas. Some are a little more restrictive than others. Some of them you have to phone in a reservation. I don't know much about the RFW hunts. They are the toughest tags in the state to draw so are likely pretty good. I hunted the Bosque a few years ago and it was a pretty good hunt. Many of the oil field roads are closed to vehicles and mtn bikes. I've also heard that in springs with little snow the turkeys may be dispersed up the hills and tougher to find.

OP
TygerJ

TygerJ

FNG
If interested in the Eastern river bottom tags along the South Platte close to Sterling you might take a look at the walk in area regulations in those areas. Some are a little more restrictive than others. Some of them you have to phone in a reservation. I don't know much about the RFW hunts. They are the toughest tags in the state to draw so are likely pretty good. I hunted the Bosque a few years ago and it was a pretty good hunt. Many of the oil field roads are closed to vehicles and mtn bikes. I've also heard that in springs with little snow the turkeys may be dispersed up the hills and tougher to find.

Thanks for the insight. The Bosque tag is definitely also very interesting to me. Haven’t ever been there but success rates look favorable. When you hunted it, and despite it having reasonably limited tags, did you feel hunter pressure?

Jimss

WKR
There are only a few roads with vehicle access and yes there were hunters on those roads. Luckily I beat someone else to the tom I got! I got mine pretty early on opening morning so was done. I'm sure a lot of turkeys get spooked off the main roads so may be tough until things slow down later in the season. The turkeys may disperse later in the season as the snow receeds so it's hard to say how tough it may be to find them later. There is a lot of country behind locked gates that likely don't get hunted very hard....but probably a lot of country with few birds?

otcWill

FNG
I’ve bow killed some toms on the platte. Lots of birds. Fun hunt for sure. About like Nebraska ;)