CO temperatures in Sept.

What temperatures can I expect at night around 11-12k'? Will be in unit 74 in Sept.

Trying to build a sleep system around what you don't know is tough!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
74 at that altitude is super pleasant in September. Cool mornings, warm afternoons. The only factor above 11.5 or so on the alpine tundra can be the wind. I find a 20 degree quilt + insulated pad to be entirely sufficient and I’ll often sleep in my underwear (no insulation on my legs), a lightweight merino top, a light beanie, no socks. If I do sleep in socks, they are super lightweight. Unless it’s an unusually cold year, it will be surprisingly warm. Despite the altitude, 74 is pretty far South. The nights and mornings are just cold enough to be exhilarating and the days are warm enough to make you look forward to the cold air.

I am looking to try a 30 degree KUIU bag for similar situation. Although a 15 degree bag is more versatile it seems its more bag than need in August and sept.

CO-AJ

WKR
74 at that altitude is super pleasant in September. Cool mornings, warm afternoons. The only factor above 11.5 or so on the alpine tundra can be the wind. I find a 20 degree quilt + insulated pad to be entirely sufficient and I’ll often sleep in my underwear (no insulation on my legs), a lightweight merino top, a light beanie, no socks. If I do sleep in socks, they are super lightweight. Unless it’s an unusually cold year, it will be surprisingly warm. Despite the altitude, 74 is pretty far South. The nights and mornings are just cold enough to be exhilarating and the days are warm enough to make you look forward to the cold air.
Right on the money for the southern mountains of CO. To add to this, it will be drier than you think and it is easy to get dehydrated and not feel it until you quit. Have a good water supply plan and/or water resupply plan. That headache you feel is only partly from the Bourbon...

McNutt

FNG
I’m no help with your question. But I’m assuming we’re from the same area judging from your screen name. What part of ETx are you from?

Nickd160

FNG
15 degree bag last year at 10k in 71 most nights had to remove some layers but had frost a couple mornings and was still comfortable in a 15 degree bag

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
I've used an REI Igneo sleeping bag in Colorado quite a bit for a 3-season bag and it served me well. They're not super heavy (but there are lighter out there but you're going to spend a LOT more) and the price is reasonable, and even better when they go on sale or offer their 20% off coupons.

I realize the Igneo is not the latest, greatest, lightest or most expensive, flavor of the month bougie brand than all the cool kids and internet influencers are pushing, but it's a decent bag for the working man who can't afford the most expensive and/or isn't a label snob.

Nickd160

FNG
Forgot to mention my bag. Outdoor Vital Mummy Pod. I use a hammock system and no under quilt needed. Solid set up

OP
E
Thanks for all of the feedback. I ended up purchasing the Big Agnes Torchlight UL 20° bag and a Klymit Insulated Static V Luxe XL pad.

Wapiti16

FNG
What temperatures can I expect at night around 11-12k'? Will be in unit 74 in Sept.

Trying to build a sleep system around what you don't know is tough!

I hunt 73 every year in late Sept around 10,000 and its always pleasant. 30s at night. Can be pretty hot still during the day in the sun.

I'm in Louisiana btw.

FlyGuy

WKR
I hunt 73 every year in late Sept around 10,000 and its always pleasant. 30s at night. Can be pretty hot still during the day in the sun.

I'm in Louisiana btw.

Hey, I’m a LA native myself. Will be hunting 74 this year for the 1st time. Was planning to run Sitka Apex pants. Just right or too hot? Will be packing in for 8-9 day stretch so trying to cover all bases with one pant. Or would you go with the lighter Ascent Pant?

(Top will be the lw hoodie, apex hoodie in the early/late hours mtn vest and puffy in pack.)

You can’t cheat the mountain