CO Unit 20 Elk Questions?

chaza402

FNG
I drew my archery tag for this unit since I live right around the corner. Have some good spots scoped out but was wondering if there are any folks out there who have hunted this unit in past years?

SonnyDay

WKR
Haven't hunted it in the past but am hunting it for cows this December (rifle)... Similarly, I have a few different areas, and spots within those areas picked out. Be interesting to see how the fall snowstorms shake things out. I am also eager for Elk101 to release their cow hunting info.

I’d be on the ‘Lookout’ in case you find a ‘Crystal’ during a ‘Storm’

Funny right there! Giant bulls in there, best seasons are the late rifle. Areas in there where you can see 350 bulls on the norm and that's no BS. Problem............... Locked up private and leased to high rollers.

CWD doesn't scare me, but I'd test any animal shot out of 20 before I ate it.

.............. Maybe it does scare me

OP
chaza402

chaza402

FNG
All in all it was a bit disappointing this season. The fires really made it tough as we were socked in with smoke. Bulls didn’t really turn on til the last few days of season.

My dad did end shooting his best bull on the first day he was out which really was the highlight of my year!! For 2020 that’s really not saying too much👎

We set the lock ons up on a water hole and came back late that afternoon and had a really unique 6x walk in To 25yds. An amazing thing to see from a tree!!

I know the forests are back open and the fires are about out so hopefully the dec cow hunt will be successful!

Attachments

• 6535C9B3-5856-4745-8E51-9311C902B16F.jpeg
    6535C9B3-5856-4745-8E51-9311C902B16F.jpeg
    284.6 KB · Views: 145
OP
chaza402

chaza402

FNG
I also shot a great buck early in the season. We got both animals tested and both came back negative for CWD.
I highly recommend getting the testing done for your piece of mind and for the CPW’s database. It’s only $25 bucks

bwelshl7

FNG
I also shot a great buck early in the season. We got both animals tested and both came back negative for CWD.
I highly recommend getting the testing done for your piece of mind and for the CPW’s database. It’s only $25 bucks
All in all it was a bit disappointing this season. The fires really made it tough as we were socked in with smoke. Bulls didn’t really turn on til the last few days of season.

My dad did end shooting his best bull on the first day he was out which really was the highlight of my year!! For 2020 that’s really not saying too much👎

We set the lock ons up on a water hole and came back late that afternoon and had a really unique 6x walk in To 25yds. An amazing thing to see from a tree!!

I know the forests are back open and the fires are about out so hopefully the dec cow hunt will be successful!
Great photo, I am considering the archery elk tag for 20 next year. I had a 4th deer permit but turned back in due to the fires and access. Do you think the elk hunting would still be decent for 2021 even with the fires

OP
chaza402

chaza402

FNG
I am going to be honest, the fires really torched a good amount of area. The spots on the south side of the unit where the Calwood fire burned through will be very dangerous for the next few years. This area is extremely devastated and trees are already starting to come down. The areas in the North where the Cammeron Peak Fire burned I believe are more spotty with islands of areas that were untouched. The animals are still there and if you have a large amount of time to invest-maybe two weeks I think you will be able to get into animals.
Last season sucked with the heat and the smoke- I would think this coming year should be better if we get moisture this spring. So far our winter has been drier than usual.

Ragchaser

FNG
Hey,
I’m hunting 20 archery for the first time. I’m new to this site and can’t send you a message yet. Would you please try to send me a message so we can discuss the unit?
I live in boulder and would happily throw you a case of beer in exchange for your knowledge.
Thanks!

LFC911

WKR
Hey,
I’m hunting 20 archery for the first time. I’m new to this site and can’t send you a message yet. Would you please try to send me a message so we can discuss the unit?
I live in boulder and would happily throw you a case of beer in exchange for your knowledge.
Thanks!
message sent

Chaza42 i would like to talk to you about the unit if you dont mind. I have alot of areas that i will be hunting in but just wanted to talk little about your hunt and get some suggestion's from you, Thanks and if you like i can send you my cell