CO unit 5

Elk365

FNG
Anyone have any intel on unit 5 archery? Always keen to hear success stories or perhaps a good place to start looking. First time for us in that country so anything helps.

OP
E

Elk365

FNG
New to this so good point on the public reply comment. If willing to share honey hole stuff, give up the lame spots publicly and PM the real good stuff😀

Billy Goat’s post was the kind of thing I was hoping to get. Anything more will be a serendipity. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: jcg
Doubt you will get any honey holes since its not a OIL type tag and NR guys can draw it every 2 years or so.

I will tell you sheep are an issue here or at least where we hunted. It was my first time in a unit that had sheep but with a pile of dogs watching over the sheep it seemed to keep the elk from moving freely. I would make sure if you come across sheep you probably want to hunt a different drainage until the sheep move. Also the state park, maybe its called Steamboat, and is north of the town of Steamboat has showers. For $7 you can access the park and then get showers although you will need quarters. Also they have water so you can fill up for camp and we even tossed our garbage bags in the dumpsters while there.

OP
E

Elk365

FNG
Hadn’t given sheep a moments thought. Cows are common but this is the first I’ll encounter sheep while elk hunting. Interesting, thanks for the heads up.

I don't know if you will get much out of the herders. The ones we ran into were all from Peru (I think) and didn't speak much english. I actually gave a herder's wife a ride on my ATV. She ran off the road in her truck and was stuck. All she could do was point in the direction of the herd. I said get on and gave her a ride to we saw her husband on a horse. My buddies got a kick out of that when they saw me driving down the road with a woman on the back. lol

OP
E

Elk365

FNG
The sheep information is priceless. As with any hunt, there’s always a challenge and finding the right time and place for success is the game. We’ve had amazing hunts when there were terrible odds and lousy hunts when all things looked great so who knows how this one will go. We’ll take our bows for long walks and see some new country while making elk noises. Maybe we’ll run into some of you guys and help you pack your elk! 👊

Fyi, there's a pretty aggressive horse out there, more of a guard animal than the dogs. He will quite literally scare the shit out of you when he comes thru the bushes. Big Grey or Dapple Grey, acted kinda Arabian.

I'm relatively certain he will run right thru you.

Rourke__

FNG
Any success photos? Sheep in unit 214 was the biggest pain since they seemed to be tearing everything up

IMG_20200911_074556906.jpgIMG_20200909_164721632.jpgIMG_20200912_104915469.jpg

I try to make sure I keep landscapes out of my pictures. Guess I screwed up and have one, but they are likely more misleading than they appear.

OP
E

Elk365

FNG
We had a great hunt with lots of action but ol’ Murphy kept us from getting it done this year. We found lots of good access and plenty of hunters and camps but also plenty of country to get lost in. I’d definitely head back that way in a few years when we can draw that unit again. Like many public land hunts we’ve done, we had the best luck going just far enough from roads to get away from the casual guys but not far enough to be competing to with the die hards.