CO Unit 54 Kid Friendly Summer Camping

Nwaneal

FNG
Hey Crew,

We’re planning a June camping trip in the Blue Mesa reservoir area. I’m planning to hunt unit 54 this fall so I’m using this as an excuse to get up there and get a feel for the area :).

Any suggestions for fun things to do for a 5yr and 7yr old? We love water and I would love to find some slow moving water for the kids to play in.

All help is appreciated!

3forks

WKR
Slow moving water in June is going to be hard to find due to run-off, but you might be able to cut a hole in the ice on Blue Mesa for the kids to jump in.

*I‘m kidding about the ice on Blue Mesa, but even in summer it never gets that warm.

drmatara

FNG
I totally concur that it will be hard to get slow moving water in June and Soap Creek is a great recommendation.

Jbehredt

WKR
They’ve got a public swim beach on the lake fork in lake city. Might be upstream enough to be safe for the little ones. I’d go as late in June as possible.

Scorpion

WKR
There are some slow moving holes in the river along route 50, as well as the numerous lakes in the NF. Blue Mesa and Taylor Park have slow moving water but it won’t be warm, not that kids care.

What species are you hunting in 54?

OP
Nwaneal

Nwaneal

FNG
There are some slow moving holes in the river along route 50, as well as the numerous lakes in the NF. Blue Mesa and Taylor Park have slow moving water but it won’t be warm, not that kids care.

What species are you hunting in 54?
Thanks! Im looking at Rainbow Lake as a possible camping area but the kids enjoy creeks if its possible. I’m going after Elk, hopefully first rifle. Got any tips? :)

Scorpion

WKR
Rainbow Lake is a good spot to take the kids, as well. Very pretty area.

You’ll find elk in any unit there if you’re willing to put on the miles. First rifle seems like it can be feast or famine depending on rutting activity and weather. 54 has some very rough terrain, as challenging as anything I’ve hunted in the Rockies.

OP
Nwaneal

Nwaneal

FNG
Rainbow Lake is a good spot to take the kids, as well. Very pretty area.

You’ll find elk in any unit there if you’re willing to put on the miles. First rifle seems like it can be feast or famine depending on rutting activity and weather. 54 has some very rough terrain, as challenging as anything I’ve hunted in the Rockies.
Thanks for the info! I know it’s going to be interesting either way :).