CO unit 54.

It sure as hell is now.

Always has been. I think it is literally the only way into the western part of the unit from the south. I can only imagine how many people are on that road during season. The responses on here are funny. He didn't mention a drainage or mountain, only asked about road conditions on the main road. The one everybody uses in that part of the unit.

Ksbowhtr

FNG
Always has been. I think it is literally the only way into the western part of the unit from the south. I can only imagine how many people are on that road during season. The responses on here are funny. He didn't mention a drainage or mountain, only asked about road conditions on the main road. The one everybody uses in that part of the unit.
I agree. certain guys on here jumping all over the op about a road question. I have been up the road many times, it sucks. But most of the roads in the country suck anymore. To the op. Don't be discouraged. That unit has elk, but it also gets a ton of pressure. you will have to work hard and use your friends experience to find the elk. Best of luck to you this year.

Ono

FNG
Take 4 chains that you know how to use, decent clearance, and 4wd at that time of year. Can neither confirm nor deny that I have hunted in CO.

Ultraheight

Lil-Rokslider
Agree. One of the main access points to the west side of unit 54.
I think a lot of people missed the point of my post, but that’s cool. Just didn’t want to put anyone out trying to pick me up or drive me out. Was looking for other options. No worries. I’ll find my info elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call the USFS, they own it and have to answer your questions. Ask your friend. Call a local sporting goods store. Call the local CO elk biologist, I'm sure they know this access. Call the Fish and Wildlife Service, I've seen their biologists up there all the time. The spot isn't a secret, but this is the largest depository of mountain hunting information in the world, you have to realize how many people see these things. I won't be all mean though; go as deep as possible here to find them. Think GMU boundary

mlchase

FNG
I'll stick to the original question - that road sucks from the Commissary CG on up. It has been a couple years, but I doubt anyone made the road any better. I always went up on my quad as could travel better/more comfortable, but was surprised to sometimes meet trucks that took it all the way up. As others said, that week snow can happen and if it does, that stretch will go from sucky to worse. Good luck!

To be fair to the OP. . . My dad and uncle and some friends have hunted the same general area for 20 years. . . They average 6 hunters at camp each year and my math puts them at 1.15 elk per year for the camp. To my knowledge in 20 years 2 bulls have been killed.

I have asked why they don't try a new spot 100 times. . . Well, we know the area so much we just like going back! Hell then go there and camp in July!!! I'm not paying good money if I go a year or two without seeing elk when I've hunted the area for 20 years!!!! Some people just like an expensive guys week with the chance to shoot an elk should it stumble upon them.

n2mywake

FNG
In my opinion even a light rain on the dust of that road makes it a tough go without chains.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
Sounds like a pretty chitty road. Thanks all for the input. Looking forward to the hunt, time away, and just getting into the woods for an extended period of time.

jmh00043

FNG
Sounds like a pretty chitty road. Thanks all for the input. Looking forward to the hunt, time away, and just getting into the woods for an extended period of time.

So how was the road?

n2mywake

FNG
So how was the road?
For us we got lucky and hit it dry (which was great because my rig broke down in Kansas and we had to get a rental).
We were able to go in and out 11 days later with it dry. All the trucks at the end of the road when we got there had chains on from a few days earlier.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ultraheight

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all, curious what people know about snow in this unit right now? Was hoping to hunt around 10k feet, but according to the forecast that may be dubious

Just another thing to think about. I was in Denver last week for a non hunting related thing and rentals are pretty hard to come by and they are EXPENSIVE. 2 days, $300 for a small midsize.

Also, a group we know, usually has one guy that does the fly-in thing every year. He has taken his rental car, now truck or jeep, into some hairy places. That said it was archery and not near the threat of snow.